Center of magnetic potential vs center of mass

In summary, nearc is trying to model the behavior of a magnetic compass when it is placed next to a ferrous piece of metal. His first simplification was to consider the metal and the magnet points and to make the math easier, allowing the metal and magnet to occupy the same position. His question was can he find the center of magnetic potential in a similar fashion to finding the center of mass.
nearc
Gold Member
first i might be using magnetic potential incorrectly so please be nice when correcting me.

i'm attempting to model the behavior of a magnetic compass when it is placed next to a ferrous piece of metal. basically the compass will point to the metal rather than north. my first simplification was to consider the metal and the magnet points and to make the math easier i am allowing the metal and the magnet to occupy the same position.

my question: to make a physical representation of the metal and magnet occupying the same position can i make the metal a 'C' shape and the magnet a point in the middle of the C? in other words could i find the center of the magnetic potential of the metal shaped C and treat that as the point location of the magnet?

followup question: can i compute the center of magnetic potential in a similar fashion to finding the center of mass?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nearc! :smile:

what is centre of magnetic potential ? :confused:

like i said i might be using the wrong term, let me elaborate: if we had a ring like an 'o' the center of mass would be in the center and if we removed part of the ring and had a 'c' shape the center of mass would be shifted slight to the left but still somewhere in empty space. would could then treat the center of masses of these two objects as points and use them to compute various things such as the gravitational attraction between the two objects, F=Gm1m2/d, where d is the distance between the to center of masses.

what i want to know is can i use the same approach if i had a 'C' shaped piece of ferrous metal and a bar magnet shaped like '-' ? this allow me to place the bar magnet inside the 'C' so that the distance between the center of the magnetic attraction would zero?

Related to Center of magnetic potential vs center of mass

1. What is the difference between the center of magnetic potential and the center of mass?

The center of magnetic potential is the point in space where the magnetic field has the highest intensity, while the center of mass is the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed. They are two different physical quantities that are not directly related to each other.

2. How is the center of magnetic potential calculated?

The center of magnetic potential is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the magnetic field lines. This calculation takes into account the strength and direction of the magnetic field at each point.

3. Can the center of magnetic potential and the center of mass be at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for the center of magnetic potential and the center of mass to be at the same point. This can occur in objects with a symmetrical distribution of mass and a symmetrical magnetic field, such as a bar magnet.

4. How does the center of magnetic potential affect the behavior of objects?

The center of magnetic potential does not directly affect the behavior of objects. However, it is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, as it is the point towards which particles will tend to move.

5. Is the center of magnetic potential always within the object?

No, the center of magnetic potential does not have to be within the object. It can be located outside of the object if the magnetic field is not symmetrical or if the object is not uniformly magnetized. However, in most cases, it will be located within the object.