Center manifold and submanifold

In summary: Great, thanks. Is there any general procedure of changing the parameters to achieve this (fixing the value of a_n)? For instance, for fixing a_1=0, what I usually do is to plot a neutral curve in the parameter space, and then to choose the parameters on that neutral curve. This will guarantee that the growth rate is small. How to fix a_3 then?Another question is that, if a_3=0 can be located in the parameter space, does it mean we can change between the subcritical and supercritical bifurcation by modifying slightly the parameters (across the curve on which a_3=0)?Perhaps somebody else have a reference? I would very much
jollage
Hi all,

I am not familiar with the dynamic system theory. When I was trying to understand the weakly nonlinear stability analysis, I realize the following question.

It is known that the center manifold reduction can be used to study the first linear bifurcation. This lead to the Ginzburg-Landau equation
tex?\frac{\partial%20A}{\partial%20t}=a_1A%20+%20a_3%20A^*A^2%20+%20a_5%20A^{*2}A^3%20+%20.......png

Is the center manifold corresponding to the space
png.png
? I feel this because at the linear bifurcation, the growth rate of the disturbance is zero, which implies that
png.png
in the above equation.

Then does there exist a submanifold corresponding to
png.png
?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
jollage said:
Hi all,

I am not familiar with the dynamic system theory. When I was trying to understand the weakly nonlinear stability analysis, I realize the following question.

It is known that the center manifold reduction can be used to study the first linear bifurcation. This lead to the Ginzburg-Landau equation
tex?\frac{\partial%20A}{\partial%20t}=a_1A%20+%20a_3%20A^*A^2%20+%20a_5%20A^{*2}A^3%20+%20.......png

Is the center manifold corresponding to the space
png.png
?

You are missing some spatial derivatives from that equation.

The centre manifold consists of the (complex) amplitudes corresponding to wavenumbers of marginally stable disturbances to some reference state of the physical quantities you are studying. Here that amplitude is [itex]A[/itex].

By adding the evolution equation for [itex]a_1[/itex], which is [itex]\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial t} = 0[/itex], we obtain the extended centre manifold, which includes the actual centre manifold as a submanifold.

[itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]a_3[/itex], and [itex]a_5[/itex] are functions of the parameters appearing in the PDE which actually governs the evolution of the physical quantities involved. At the actual bifurcation it will be the case that [itex]a_1 = 0[/itex], but the idea is that the Ginzburg-Landau equation also applies at parameter values near to, but not at, the bifurcation. For these values [itex]a_1 \neq 0[/itex].

By adding the trivial evolution equation for [itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial t} = 0[/itex] to the system we obtain the extended centre manifold, which indeed contains the original centre manifold as a submanifold.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
You are missing some spatial derivatives from that equation.

The centre manifold consists of the (complex) amplitudes corresponding to wavenumbers of marginally stable disturbances to some reference state of the physical quantities you are studying. Here that amplitude is [itex]A[/itex].

[itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]a_3[/itex], and [itex]a_5[/itex] are functions of the parameters appearing in the PDE which actually governs the evolution of the physical quantities involved. At the actual bifurcation it will be the case that [itex]a_1 = 0[/itex], but the idea is that the Ginzburg-Landau equation also applies at parameter values near to, but not at, the bifurcation. For these values [itex]a_1 \neq 0[/itex].

Hi pasmith,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, you are right. For the GLE, I should add some spatial-derivative terms. Here, I just listed the linear and nonlinear growth rate terms, since they are pertaining to the questions I have.

I understand what you wrote there. Do you have any clue about the existence of the submanifold for [itex]a_3 = 0[/itex]? Thanks.

jollage said:
Hi pasmith,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, you are right. For the GLE, I should add some spatial-derivative terms. Here, I just listed the linear and nonlinear growth rate terms, since they are pertaining to the questions I have.

I understand what you wrote there. Do you have any clue about the existence of the submanifold for [itex]a_3 = 0[/itex]? Thanks.

It exists. We can keep extending the centre manifold by adding [itex]\frac{\partial a_n}{\partial t} = 0[/itex] to the system until we've exhausted our parameters. Fixing the value of [itex]a_n[/itex] then produces a submanifold of one fewer dimensions.

pasmith said:
It exists. We can keep extending the centre manifold by adding [itex]\frac{\partial a_n}{\partial t} = 0[/itex] to the system until we've exhausted our parameters. Fixing the value of [itex]a_n[/itex] then produces a submanifold of one fewer dimensions.

Great, thanks. Is there any general procedure of changing the parameters to achieve this (fixing the value of [itex]a_n[/itex])? For instance, for fixing [itex]a_1=0[/itex], what I usually do is to plot a neutral curve in the parameter space, and then to choose the parameters on that neutral curve. This will guarantee that the growth rate is small. How to fix [itex]a_3[/itex] then?

Another question is that, if [itex]a_3=0[/itex] can be located in the parameter space, does it mean we can change between the subcritical and supercritical bifurcation by modifying slightly the parameters (across the curve on which [itex]a_3=0[/itex])?

Could you please tell me any reference on this subject (center manifold and submanifold)? Thanks a lot!

Perhaps somebody else have a reference? I would very much like to read it as well :)

Related to Center manifold and submanifold

1. What is a center manifold?

A center manifold is a geometric structure that describes the behavior of a dynamical system near a critical point or equilibrium. It is the set of points in the state space that are invariant under the system dynamics and attract nearby trajectories.

2. How is a center manifold different from a submanifold?

A center manifold is a specific type of submanifold that has the property of being invariant under the system dynamics. This means that the points on the manifold remain on the manifold as time evolves. In contrast, a submanifold is a more general term that describes any lower-dimensional manifold embedded within a higher-dimensional space.

3. What is the importance of center manifolds in dynamical systems?

Center manifolds play a crucial role in understanding the long-term behavior of nonlinear dynamical systems. They provide a simplified representation of the system near critical points, making it easier to analyze and predict the system's behavior. They also allow for the identification of stable and unstable directions, which is essential in control and stability analysis.

4. How can center manifolds be calculated?

The calculation of a center manifold typically involves finding a set of smooth functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being invariant under the system dynamics and tangent to the flow of the system. This can be done analytically for simple systems, but for more complex systems, numerical methods may be required.

5. Can center manifolds be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, center manifolds have many applications in various fields, such as physics, biology, and engineering. They can be used to understand the behavior of nonlinear systems, predict the long-term behavior of a system, and design control strategies for stabilizing unstable systems. They have been successfully applied in areas such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and control systems.