Center E field of an equilateral triangle.

In summary, the electric field at the center of a triangle with sides of 15.6 cm and charges of 2.0 uC (Q1) at the vertex and -4.0 uC (Q2 and Q3) at the bottom points can be found by calculating the midpoint of the triangle and using the equations E = kQ/r^2 and E = F/q. The center of the triangle is not at the midpoint of the height, but rather the point equidistant from all vertexes. By dropping perpendiculars from each vertex to the opposite side, the center can be determined. The final solution for the electric field at the center is 6.7 x 10^6 N/C in the
RyanBruceX
y/SUB]

Homework Statement

Determine the electric field at the center of the triangle. All sides are 15.6 cm. Vetex is 2.0 uC (Q1) while the bottom points are both -4.0 uC (Q2 and Q3).

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Ecenter = E1 + (2)E2 = ?

First calculate midpoint of triangle by splitting it down the middle, resulting in the top left angle being 30 degrees. To determine the height of the triangle I used cos30L where L = 0.156 m = 0.135 m. So midpoint will be half this = 0.0657 m.

Now my first question is the E from Q1 going to simply be E = k2.0 x 10^-6/ 0.135^2? Or because Q1 (top of triangle) acts at angles towards Q2 and Q3 the E field felt from Q1 on p (middle) will be 2Ey after cancelling Ex due to symmetry?

If going with my first solution we now have Ec = 9.876 x 10^5 N/C + 2Ey = ?

Distance from Q2/Q3 to center = square of (0.078^2 + 0.0675^2) = 0.103 m.
E = k(-4.0 x 10^-6)/0.103^2 = -3.39 x 10^-6. So Ey = sin30E = -1.696 x 10^6.

Net E middle of triangle = E1 + 2Ey = 9.876 x 10^5 + (2)1.696 x 10^6 = 4.379 x 10^6 N/C?
Unless the top charge has to be broken into components I think this is right? thanks. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanBruceX said:
y

Homework Statement

Determine the electric field at the center of the triangle. All sides are 15.6 cm. Vetex is 2.0 uC (Q1) while the bottom points are both -4.0 uC (Q2 and Q3).

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ecenter = E1 + (2)E2 = ?

No. The contributions of Q2 and Q3 to the electric field are not the same, the directions are different. The electric field is a vector. Apply vector addition to get the resultant from the contributions of the individual charges.

RyanBruceX said:

First calculate midpoint of triangle by splitting it down the middle, resulting in the top left angle being 30 degrees. To determine the height of the triangle I used cos30L where L = 0.156 m = 0.135 m. So midpoint will be half this = 0.0657 m.

The centre of the triangle is the point which is at equal distance from all vertexes. It is not at the midpoint of the height.

ehild

Likes RyanBruceX
ehild said:
No. The contributions of Q2 and Q3 to the electric field are not the same, the directions are different. The electric field is a vector. Apply vector addition to get the resultant from the contributions of the individual charges.
The centre of the triangle is the point which is at equal distance from all vertexes. It is not at the midpoint of the height.

ehild

Okay, I do not know ho to find the middle point of the triangle. But once I figure that out am I correct in thinking the net E will be
E = k(+2uC)/distance top vertex to center^2 + E = (2)(sin30)(k-4uC/distance from bottom apex to center^2 = ? I see that both E fields move -y so their addition will make E greater in the -y direction than either one alone.

Or do I have to double the y component of the +2uC charge as well? Thanks

RyanBruceX said:
Okay, I do not know ho to find the middle point of the triangle.
You dropped a perpendicular from the top vertex down to the triangle's base, thus bisecting the angle at the top vertex. Do the same for the other two vertices, dropping perpendiculars to their opposite sides. Can you spot the symmetry that results? Where might you find the center of the triangle?

Likes RyanBruceX
Ok, so when I do that I can visualize the center, but not know its physical location. So now that I see center it looks as though from the left bottom vertex I can calculate the height from base to midpoint using tan30 (0.5 x 0.156m) = 0.045 m? And Q2 and Q3 are 0.09 m from vertex to midpoint. Q1 to midpoint = 0.135 - 0.045 = = 0.09 m which makes sense due to symmetry.

SO now the solution. E = k(+2uC)/0.09^2 + (2)sin30(k-4uC/0.09^2) = 2.22 x 10^6 + 4.44 x 10^6 = 6.7 x 10^6 N/C (-y direction).. Does this look right?

RyanBruceX said:
Ok, so when I do that I can visualize the center, but not know its physical location. So now that I see center it looks as though from the left bottom vertex I can calculate the height from base to midpoint using tan30 (0.5 x 0.156m) = 0.045 m? And Q2 and Q3 are 0.09 m from vertex to midpoint. Q1 to midpoint = 0.135 - 0.045 = = 0.09 m which makes sense due to symmetry.
That is right.

RyanBruceX said:
SO now the solution. E = k(+2uC)/0.09^2 + (2)sin30(k-4uC/0.09^2) = 2.22 x 10^6 + 4.44 x 10^6 = 6.7 x 10^6 N/C (-y direction).. Does this look right?
E = k(+2uC)/0.09^2 + (2)sin30(k-4uC/0.09^2) is wrong. In what direction does the field of the 2uC charge point?
(k-4uC/0.09^2) means that you subtract (k-4uC/0.09^2) from k which has no sense.
Accidentally, the end result is correct.

ehild

Likes RyanBruceX
ehild said:
That is right.E = k(+2uC)/0.09^2 + (2)sin30(k-4uC/0.09^2) is wrong. In what direction does the field of the 2uC charge point?
(k-4uC/0.09^2) means that you subtract (k-4uC/0.09^2) from k which has no sense.
Accidentally, the end result is correct.

ehild

I should have put -0.09^2 for the distance for the +2.0uC equation. I intuitively knew it was going to be a the sum of the fore magnitudes and in the negative direction. Thank you very much for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Related to Center E field of an equilateral triangle.

What is the Center E field of an equilateral triangle?

The Center E field of an equilateral triangle refers to the electric field strength at the center point of an equilateral triangle, which is a type of geometric shape with three equal sides and angles.

How is the Center E field of an equilateral triangle calculated?

The Center E field of an equilateral triangle can be calculated by using the formula E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the triangle, and r is the distance from the center point to the triangle.

What factors influence the Center E field of an equilateral triangle?

The Center E field of an equilateral triangle is influenced by the charge of the triangle, the distance from the center point, and the size of the triangle. It is also affected by other nearby charges and external electric fields.

How does the Center E field of an equilateral triangle affect nearby objects?

The Center E field of an equilateral triangle can exert a force on nearby objects with a charge, causing them to either attract or repel from the triangle depending on the direction and strength of the electric field.

What is the significance of studying the Center E field of an equilateral triangle?

Studying the Center E field of an equilateral triangle is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields in various geometric shapes. It also has practical applications in designing electronic devices and conducting experiments in electromagnetism.