CDF of a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density function (PDF) and cumulative distribution function (CDF) for a random variable X. The PDF is defined for different ranges of X and has a discontinuity at x=2. The CDF is calculated by taking the integral of the PDF and there was initially confusion about a negative sign in the CDF and the discontinuity at x=2. However, it was later discovered that the negative sign was incorrect and the CDF is now a smooth increasing function from 0 to 1.
jimbobian
Ok, this one's got me stumped!

Let's take as an example the probability density function for a random variable X so that:

f(x) = [itex]\frac{4}{3x^{3}}[/itex] 1≤x<2
f(x) = [itex]\frac{x}{12}[/itex] 2≤x≤4
f(x) = 0

So the CDF for this variable comes out as:

F(x) = [itex]\frac{-2}{3x^{2}}[/itex] 1≤x<2
F(x) = [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{24}[/itex] 2≤x≤4

So how can the CDF be negative for 1≤x<2, the CDF is P(X≤x), so to my mind that makes no sense. And secondly I have never seen a CDF with a discontinuity like in this one. At x=2, it jumps from -1/6 to 1/6

This made me think that I should ignore the negative sign in the CDF for 1≤x<2, but then for 1≤x<2 F(x) is a decreasing function, how can that make sense?

Someone enlighten me... please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I've figured out why the minus sign shouldn't have been there, I forgot that what you actually do to find the CDF is:

[itex]\int_{-∞}^{x} p(t)dt[/itex]

Which sorts out the minus sign, other problem still remains?

EDIT: I'm talking rubbish this hasn't fixed a thing!

EDIT2: Turns out it fixed both problems. CDF is now a lovely increasing function that starts at 0 and ends at 1. Turns out I'd been doing an incorrect short cut on CDFs and never noticed because it has never not worked until tonight!

Last edited:

Related to CDF of a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF

1. What is the CDF of a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF?

The CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) of a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF (Probability Density Function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability that the variable will take on a value less than or equal to a given value. In simpler terms, it tells us the probability of the variable being less than a certain value.

2. How is the CDF calculated for a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF?

The CDF for a variable with a negative exponent in its PDF is calculated by integrating the PDF from negative infinity to the desired value. This integral represents the area under the curve of the PDF up to that point, and gives us the probability of the variable being less than or equal to that value.

3. What is the relationship between the CDF and PDF for a variable with a negative exponent?

The CDF and PDF are closely related for a variable with a negative exponent. The PDF describes the relative likelihood of the variable taking on a specific value, while the CDF gives us the cumulative probability of the variable being less than or equal to that value. In other words, the CDF is the integral of the PDF.

4. How does the shape of the CDF change for a variable with a negative exponent compared to a variable with a positive exponent?

The shape of the CDF for a variable with a negative exponent is different from that of a variable with a positive exponent. In general, the CDF for a variable with a negative exponent will have a steeper slope and will approach 1 more quickly as the value of the variable increases. This is because the probability of the variable being less than a certain value decreases more rapidly with a negative exponent compared to a positive exponent.

5. Can the CDF of a variable with a negative exponent ever be negative?

No, the CDF of a variable with a negative exponent cannot be negative. The CDF always gives us the probability of the variable being less than or equal to a certain value, and probabilities cannot be negative. The CDF may approach 0 as the value of the variable decreases, but it will never be negative.