CCD image processing - Astronomy

In summary, the object was detected in a 100-sec exposure with a 3x4 CCD camera. The expression that was used to calculate the true count is [(raw image_m/NLG_m)-bias_m-dark_m]/(FF_m*G). The division of the matrix is not possible because the matrices are not invertible.
big man
Hi I've just got a small problem that needs to be cleared here to allow me to do the other questions.

Statement:
Two objects were detected in a 100-sec exposure with 3x4 CCD camera

Now you are given 3 by 4 matrices for the raw image data, bias, dark count and flat field. I've provided a link to a screen shot of the excel spreadsheet of the data so you can actually see it clearly.

LINK: http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/4324/ccddata7ev.jpg

Anyway I found an expression in the lecturer's notes that says true count is given by [tex][(raw image_m/NLG_m)-bias_m-dark_m]/(FF_m*G)[/tex]

Where the subscript m means matrix. Dark is the dark count matrix and FF is the flat field matrix and NLG and G are the non-linear gain correction and gain correction respectively. NLG and G aren't given though.

Anyway the thing that confuses me is that you can't do that operation with matrices. Unless the division of the matrix is referring to the inverse. However, since the matrices aren't square they aren't invertible. I know you do have the right inverse and left inverse of a non-square matrix, so am I meant to calculate that and apply it to the above expression?? Or have I misinterpreted the equation here?

Cheers for any help

P.S. This is just an exercise, and it does violate Rayleigh's criterion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also if the equation I've given is the one that you're meant to use, then can you ignore the NLG and G terms since they aren't given?

Well I was talking to one of the people in my class and he said that he didn't know, but that he was just dividing the individual cells of the numerator term by their respective values in the denominator term.
I mean the lecturer specifically had in his lecture notes that these were matrix representations, so I don't see how you can just do that. It's annoying me 'cause I'm still wasting my time on this when other people are happy just to ignore the fact that they are a matrices...The thing is I'm probably the idiot for wasting my time on it and they are probably right doing it their way.

Sorry, haha that's my rant over...just glad the unit finishes this week.

Last edited:

Related to CCD image processing - Astronomy

1. What is CCD image processing in astronomy?

CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) image processing in astronomy is a technique used to enhance and analyze images captured by CCD cameras in telescopes. CCD cameras are commonly used in astronomical observations due to their high sensitivity and ability to capture images with minimal noise.

2. How does CCD image processing work?

CCD image processing works by converting the raw digital data from the CCD camera into an image that is easy to interpret and analyze. This process involves several steps, including removing any noise or defects in the image, stacking multiple images to reduce noise, and enhancing the contrast and color of the image.

3. What are the benefits of using CCD image processing in astronomy?

CCD image processing allows astronomers to obtain a clearer and more detailed view of celestial objects. It also enables them to study faint and distant objects that would not be visible with the naked eye. Additionally, CCD image processing allows for accurate measurements of the brightness and color of objects, which can provide valuable information about their composition and evolution.

4. What are some common techniques used in CCD image processing?

Some common techniques used in CCD image processing include bias subtraction, dark frame subtraction, flat fielding, and image stacking. Bias subtraction removes electronic noise from the image, while dark frame subtraction removes thermal noise. Flat fielding corrects for any imperfections in the camera's optics, and image stacking combines multiple images to reduce noise and improve the image's signal-to-noise ratio.

5. Can CCD image processing be used for other types of imaging?

Yes, CCD image processing techniques can also be applied to other types of imaging, such as medical imaging and satellite imaging. However, the specific techniques and algorithms used may differ depending on the application and type of camera being used.