Cauchy-Riemann Equations - Complex Analysis

In summary, the function f(z) = (x^2 + y^2 -2y) + i(2x-2xy) is differentiable only at the point (0,1). The derivative at this point is 0. To determine if the function is analytic at this point, we must first compute the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are satisfied only at (0,1). Therefore, the function is analytic at (0,1) according to the given definition.
Gh0stZA
Hello everyone,

The question:
Find all the points where [tex]f(z) = (x^2 + y^2 -2y) + i(2x-2xy)[/tex] is differentiable, and compute the derivative at those points.

Is the function above analytic at any point? Justify your answer clearly.

My attempt:
[tex]u (x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - 2y[/tex]
[tex]v (x,y) = 2x - 2xy [/tex]

[tex]u_x = 2x[/tex]
[tex]v_y = -2x[/tex]

[tex]u_y = 2y - 2[/tex]
[tex]v_x = 2 - 2y[/tex]

However Cauchy-Riemann states that [tex]u_x = v_y[/tex] so my reasoning is [tex]v_y = -v_y[/tex] and that is only true where [tex]v_y = 0[/tex]. That is to say: [tex]-2x = 0 \rightarrow x = 0[/tex].

But if [tex]x=0[/tex] then [tex]v(x,y) = 0[/tex] and [tex]u(x,y) = y^2 - y[/tex]

We then continue: By Cauchy-Riemann:
[tex]u_y = -v_x[/tex]

But if [tex]v(x,y) = 0[/tex] then [tex]v_x = 0[/tex]
And as such: [tex]2y - 2 = 0[/tex]
[tex]y = 1[/tex]

Does this mean the function is only differentiable at (0,1) ?

The derivative of the function:
[tex]f'(z_0) = u_x + iv_x = 2x + i(2-2y)[/tex]

At the point (0,1):
[tex]f'(z_0) = 0 + i (2-2) = 0[/tex]

I'll try my hand at the analytic part if I could get some clarification on this part first. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct except your statement
[itex]f'(z_0)= 2x+ i(2- 2y)[/itex]

If f is differentiable only at (0, 1), that makes no sense except for z= i.

As for analytic- a function is analytic at a point if and only if it is differentiable in some neighborhood of that point.

HallsofIvy was a bit too generous in saying everything is correct.

You cannot evaluate the function at x = 0 and then compute the second set of Cauchy-Riemann equations as you did. This amounts to evaluating a real function f(x,y) at x = 0, computing the partial derivative with respect to y, and then claiming that the result is actually [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/itex].

You must compute the Cauchy-Riemann equations first, then look at the set of (x,y) that satisfy the equations. Then you can determine where the function is analytic (by HallsofIvy's given definition), if anywhere.

snipez90 said:
You must compute the Cauchy-Riemann equations first, then look at the set of (x,y) that satisfy the equations. Then you can determine where the function is analytic (by HallsofIvy's given definition), if anywhere.

So basically you're saying the part about figuring that [tex]x = 0[/tex] should just shift down a bit?

Related to Cauchy-Riemann Equations - Complex Analysis

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations, named after mathematicians Augustin Cauchy and Bernhard Riemann, are a set of two partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex-valued function. They are an important tool in the study of complex analysis and are used to determine if a function is analytic or not.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are significant because they provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be analytic. This means that if a function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, it is guaranteed to be analytic. Analytic functions have many useful properties, including the ability to be differentiated and integrated along any path in the complex plane.

3. How do the Cauchy-Riemann equations relate to the concept of holomorphicity?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are closely related to the concept of holomorphicity, which is a key property of complex-valued functions. A function is said to be holomorphic if it is analytic in a given region of the complex plane. The Cauchy-Riemann equations provide a way to check if a function is holomorphic, as they are a necessary and sufficient condition for analyticity.

4. Can the Cauchy-Riemann equations be used to solve complex integration problems?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann equations can be used to solve complex integration problems. This is because they allow us to determine if a function is analytic, and if it is, we can use techniques from complex analysis to integrate the function along any path in the complex plane. This is known as the Cauchy integral theorem and is a powerful tool in solving complex integration problems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann equations have many real-world applications. They are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze systems that involve complex variables. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, as they can be used to describe the flow of fluids in two dimensions. Additionally, the Cauchy-Riemann equations have applications in image processing, where they can be used to analyze and manipulate digital images.