Catapult Trigger: Creative Ideas for Pulling String

• Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catapult
In summary: The image shows a mortise bolt with a handle, which can be spun to bring the shaft down and released to fire.
Coco12
Does anyone have any cool ideas for a catapult trigger. I plan to have a hook attached to bottom of cup that holds the ball and 2 hooks on the base that when you pull the catapult all the way down and put a nail through all three hooks. There will be a string attached to the nail but I need something that would pull the string and the nail along with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1 (optional) Get a dog
Step 2: Train your dog to do fetch command
Step 3: Attach the string to the dog's tail and do the fetch command
And... that's how you do remote controller.

A slot-car motor could wind the string around a pulley or shaft.

A trigger complicates thing a bit too much as far as a catapult is concerned...
But even so, here is something I had thought of doing:
(With a trebuchet - 5th grade sci. project...never completed the trigger part)
A Large spur gear fixed to the 'projecting shaft' synced to another gear (a spur gear cut to get 120 deg section) attached to a (4.5V I think) DC motor controlled by a switch.
The motor gets the shaft down- switch off- Lock and load- Switch on again- as the gears lose contact the projectile launches-gears regain contact- cycle continues.
But I never tried it out...no spur gears of the required sizes and cutting up beyblade rip-cords wasn't exactly working out...project was due soon too...

The trigger must be small in size can't be too big, and must be made with materials from home( easy to get and doesn't cost much)

For example anything I could do with magnets?

Coco12 said:
For example anything I could do with magnets?

Permanent magnets won't help but electromagnets might but a mechanical solution is the best IMO.
How much automation do you want? If you are okay with manually dragging down the shaft and just are looking for a trigger you could just use things like board clips/clothespin and a piece of string for a simple solution. Or if you are looking for something more elegant you could use a string and pulley (a bobbin or a reel would do nicely) attached to a handle which can spun to bring the shaft down and released to fire.

Coco12 said:
Does anyone have any cool ideas for a catapult trigger. I plan to have a hook attached to bottom of cup that holds the ball and 2 hooks on the base that when you pull the catapult all the way down and put a nail through all three hooks. There will be a string attached to the nail but I need something that would pull the string and the nail along with it.

Since this is likely a schoolwork project, I will move the thread to the Homework Help forums, and only give a visual hint...

http://www.doorware.com/images/products/deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg
deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg

Related to Catapult Trigger: Creative Ideas for Pulling String

1. What is a catapult trigger?

A catapult trigger is a mechanism used to release tension and launch a projectile in a catapult. It typically involves pulling a string or lever to activate the mechanism.

2. How does a catapult trigger work?

A catapult trigger works by storing energy in the form of tension or potential energy, and then using a trigger mechanism to release that energy and launch a projectile. For example, in a catapult with a pulling string trigger, pulling the string tenses the arm of the catapult, and releasing the string causes the arm to snap forward and launch the projectile.

3. What are some creative ideas for pulling string catapult triggers?

Some creative ideas for pulling string catapult triggers include using different materials for the string, such as rubber bands or fishing line, incorporating multiple strings for a more complex trigger, or designing a trigger that requires a specific sequence of pulling strings to activate.

4. Are there safety considerations when using a catapult trigger?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using a catapult trigger. It is important to use caution and follow proper safety protocols when constructing and operating a catapult, as it involves potential risks like projectiles flying unexpectedly or fingers getting caught in the mechanism.

5. Can a catapult trigger be used for other purposes besides launching projectiles?

Yes, a catapult trigger can be used for other purposes besides launching projectiles. For example, it can be used to activate a trap or trigger a domino effect in a Rube Goldberg machine. The design and use of the trigger can be adapted to fit the specific purpose or project at hand.