Castigliano's Second Theorem on Curved Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the horizontal displacement of a semi-circular ring supported on an anchored hinge and a roller hinge, with a vertical load applied at the center. The solution involves calculating the moment and reaction forces, and integrating to find the displacement. It is noted that a negative sign in the solution implies roller movement to the left, which may seem counterintuitive.
Triskelion

Homework Statement

A semi-circular ring of stiffness EI and radius R is supported on an anchored hinge and on a roller hinge. A vertical load F is applied at the center. Determine the horizontal displacement of the roller support.
62QT1EH.jpg

Homework Equations

vVmJPC5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So I apply a horizontal force H (to the right) at the roller. Sectioning the first quadrant gives [tex]M_1=HR sinθ_1[/tex] (moment is taken as positive clockwise). So [tex]\frac{∂M_1}{∂H}=R sinθ_1[/tex]. Similarly, [tex]M_2=HR cosθ_2-FRsinθ_2[/tex] and [tex]\frac{∂M_2}{∂H}=R cosθ_2[/tex]. Because H is an imaginary load and setting it to 0, [tex]M_1=0[/tex], [tex]\frac{∂M_1}{∂H}=R sinθ_1[/tex], [tex]M_2=-FRsinθ_2[/tex] and [tex]\frac{∂M_2}{∂H}=R cosθ_2[/tex]. So the integral is [tex]\int_0^ \frac{π}{2} \frac{M_1}{EI} \frac{∂M_1}{∂H}R dθ_1 + \int_0^ \frac{π}{2} \frac{M_2}{EI} \frac{∂M_2}{∂H}R dθ_2[/tex]. The first integral is zero. The second gives [tex]\int_0^ \frac{π}{2} \frac{-FR^3}{2EI} sin2θ_2 dθ_2=\frac{-FR^3}{2EI}[/tex]. I checked my workings, and I have no idea why there is a negative sign there. If my understanding is correct, the negative sign implies roller movement to the left, and this is really counter intuitive. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be clearer if you include a free body diagram for the derivation of your equations but my first comment is that M2 doesn't seem right.

paisiello2 said:
It might be clearer if you include a free body diagram for the derivation of your equations but my first comment is that M2 doesn't seem right.
Hey, thank you for the hint. It was like an epiphany. Turns out that I've forgotten the reaction forces all along. Funny how the human mind works, one can keep checking the thing for days without figuring what's wrong.

Related to Castigliano's Second Theorem on Curved Structures

1. What is Castigliano's Second Theorem on Curved Structures?

Castigliano's Second Theorem on Curved Structures is a fundamental principle in structural mechanics that relates the internal stresses and strains of a curved structure to the external loading applied to it. It is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of curved structures under different loading conditions.

2. How is Castigliano's Second Theorem used in practice?

Castigliano's Second Theorem is commonly used by engineers and designers to determine the deflection and the internal stresses and strains of curved structures, such as beams, arches, and curved shells. It allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of these structures compared to other methods.

3. What is the difference between Castigliano's First and Second Theorems?

Castigliano's First Theorem is used to determine the deflection of a structure under a given loading condition, while the Second Theorem is used to determine the internal stresses and strains of the structure. Additionally, the First Theorem is applicable to both linear and nonlinear structures, while the Second Theorem is only applicable to linear structures.

4. What are the limitations of Castigliano's Second Theorem?

Castigliano's Second Theorem is limited to linearly elastic structures, meaning that the material must behave in a linear manner under loading. It also assumes that the structure is statically determinate, which means that all the external forces and reactions can be determined through the equations of equilibrium.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Castigliano's Second Theorem?

Yes, Castigliano's Second Theorem has numerous applications in real-world engineering and design. It is commonly used in the analysis of bridges, arches, and other curved structures. It is also used in the design of aircraft wings, automobile frames, and other curved components to ensure their structural integrity and safety.