Cassini ovals being the equipotential lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cassini ovals as equipotential lines for two equally charged point charges in the foci. The individual tried to prove this using the product of distances to the charges and the resulting potential energy, but found an error in the calculation. It is then clarified that cassini ovals are actually lines of equal potential for logarithmic potentials and not for point charges, and a resource is provided for further information on the topic.
torteloni
edit: If you cannot understand a passage it is probably because of my bad English. Just ask.

Dear board,

it is said oftentimes that the cassini ovals are the equipotential lines when considering two (equal) point charges in the oval's foci. (see e.g. http://www.hst.tu-darmstadt.de/uploads/media/hvt2_v_08b.pdf )

I now wonder how this can be shown. Here is what I tried and what however did not work out the way I hoped. I wanted to show that if the product of distances to two given point charges is the same for some points in space, the potential in these points is the same:

Consider two equally charged point charges Q1 and Q2. Consider any point P in space. Let r1 and r2 be the distances between that point and Q1 and Q2 respectively. The electric potential in P created by Q1 and Q2 is:

[itex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \cdot \frac{Q_1}{r_1} + \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \cdot \frac{Q_2}{r_2}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \cdot (\frac{Q_1}{r_1} + \frac{Q_2}{r_2})[/itex]

We just write [itex]K[/itex] instead of the constant [itex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0}[/itex] from now on. Besides we define [itex]Q:=Q_1=Q_2[/itex] ([itex]Q_1=Q_2[/itex] by our initial assumption). So we receive:

[itex]= K \cdot (\frac{Q}{r_1} + \frac{Q}{r_2})[/itex]

[itex]= K \cdot Q \cdot (\frac{1}{r_1} + \frac{1}{r_2})[/itex]

[itex]= K \cdot Q \cdot \frac{r_1+r_2}{r_1\cdot r_2}[/itex]

And here at this point I don't quite get it: Even if the product of distances remains constant, the potential energy may change.

Consider a point in space with [itex]r_1=4[/itex] and [itex]r_2=1[/itex]. The potential in this point is obviously [itex]K\cdot Q\cdot \frac{5}{4}[/itex].

Now consider a point with [itex]r_1=2[/itex] and [itex]r_2=2[/itex]. Because [itex]4\cdot 1=2\cdot 2[/itex] both points lie on the same cassini oval around [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex]. However in our second point we have the potential [itex]K\cdot Q\cdot \frac{4}{4}[/itex].

Where am I mistaking? I thank you very much for any help and I'm especially glad if you can show me helpful links or literature that deal with this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By now I have found my error. My calculation for point charges is correct, however the Cassini Ovals are the lines of equal potential regarding a logarithmic potential. So [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] are not point charges but electrically charged conductors.

The electrostatic potential for one point P in the plane is then:

[itex]V=- \frac{q}{2 \pi \epsilon _0} (ln(r)+ln(r'))[/itex]

where r and r' are the distances to the two electrally charged conductors respectively. You may want to check http://www.jstor.org/stable/3620950 for further information.

Related to Cassini ovals being the equipotential lines?

1. What are Cassini ovals?

Cassini ovals are a type of mathematical curve that is created by the intersection of two circles with different radii.

2. How are Cassini ovals related to equipotential lines?

Cassini ovals are also known as "equipotential curves" because they represent lines of equal potential energy in a gravitational or electrostatic field.

3. What is the significance of Cassini ovals?

Cassini ovals have been used to model the orbits of celestial bodies and to map out the lines of constant potential in various physical systems.

4. How are Cassini ovals different from other types of mathematical curves?

Cassini ovals have a unique shape that is not found in other types of curves. They have a central point of symmetry and their shape is determined by the ratio of the radii of the two intersecting circles.

5. How are Cassini ovals useful in scientific research?

Cassini ovals have been used in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering to understand and model complex systems and phenomena. They have also been used in image processing and computer graphics.