Cascode Amplifier Small Signal Model

In summary, Ro2 is in the wrong place in the small-signal model of the cascode MOSFET amplifier circuit. Vo is in the wrong position. KVL must be used to find Vo's voltage gain.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm just trying to derive the small-signal model of the cascode MOSFET amplifier circuit. In the lectures, we were just given the small-signal model directly. I'm trying to derive it.

I have almost the exact same thing except where I put the output voltage. In the lectures, it is put between D2 and S1,G2. However when I was deriving it, I put it between Ro2.

My derivation attempt:
1d7ebfcffd.png

449b8eaf00.png

4e8d28f0ba.png

cff54f746a.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1d7ebfcffd.png
    1d7ebfcffd.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,772
  • 449b8eaf00.png
    449b8eaf00.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 4e8d28f0ba.png
    4e8d28f0ba.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • cff54f746a.png
    cff54f746a.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,165
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't Vo supposed to be in reference to ground, not the other transistor?

scottdave said:
Isn't Vo supposed to be in reference to ground, not the other transistor?
Ah yes! Thank you.

One more question, how would I go about finding the voltage gain Vo/Vi? I have no idea where to start with it because Vo is at such an awkward position.(between D2 and gnd)

I'm assuming its a KVL loop involving ro1 ro2 and vo?

Last edited:
scottdave said:
2 loops should do it.

In the lecture notes we have,
it says that

$$V_{ro2} + V_o + V_{gs2} = 0$$
$$ V_{ro2} = (g_m)(v_{gs2})(r_{o2}) $$

How can you assume that all of the $$(g_m)(v_{gs2})$$ current flows through ro2??

CoolDude420 said:
How can you assume that all of the
(gm)(vgs2)​
(g_m)(v_{gs2}) current flows through ro2??

Where else is it going to go?

donpacino said:
Where else is it going to go?
through r01?

CoolDude420 said:
through r01?
how would it do that, current has to flow in a loop

donpacino said:
how would it do that, current has to flow in a loop
Ah yes. Just another question. If the gmvgs2 current only goes through ro2, and since there is no ground in that loop. Where does the current leave? I'm used to most circuits with a ground. I'm assuming it just disspitates through the resistor as heat?

CoolDude420 said:
If the gmvgs2 current only goes through ro2, and since there is no ground in that loop.

You don't need to have ground in a current loop.

your kvl, kcl, and ohms laws still apply here. The current doesn't need to "leave" it just needs to 'complete its loop'

I'm not where I can draw a picture, right now. In the loop which has r02: look at Node D2. The current entering and leaving that node must be equal, so the current through r02 must equal the source current.

donpacino said:
You don't need to have ground in a current loop.

your kvl, kcl, and ohms laws still apply here. The current doesn't need to "leave" it just needs to 'complete its loop'

Ah perfect. I get it now. Thank you!

scottdave said:
I'm not where I can draw a picture, right now. In the loop which has r02: look at Node D2. The current entering and leaving that node must be equal, so the current through r02 must equal the source current.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

scottdave said:

I just had a second thought. Doesn't that sort of disagree if we apply KCL at the other node(S2, D1)?

I apply KCL at the the middle node on the right side(S2, D1).
KCL at S2, D1 $$ g_mv_{gs,2} + i_{r_{o1}}= i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1}$$
Rearranging,
$$ g_mv_{gs,2} = i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1} - i_{r_{o1}}$$

That is telling me that in fact, not all of the current is going through r_o2.

What am I missing?

Related to Cascode Amplifier Small Signal Model

1. What is a cascode amplifier?

A cascode amplifier is a type of circuit that is commonly used in electronic devices to amplify small signals. It consists of two transistors connected in series, with the output of one transistor connected to the input of the other. This configuration allows for high gain, low distortion, and good stability.

2. What is the purpose of the cascode amplifier small signal model?

The cascode amplifier small signal model is used to analyze the behavior of the cascode amplifier in response to small input signals. It takes into account the various components and parameters of the circuit, such as the transistors, resistors, and capacitors, to predict the amplifier's gain, bandwidth, and other characteristics.

3. How do you derive the small signal model for a cascode amplifier?

The small signal model for a cascode amplifier is derived by applying the principles of small signal analysis to the circuit. This involves using the small signal equivalent circuit for each transistor and combining them to create an overall small signal model for the cascode amplifier.

4. What are the key components of the cascode amplifier small signal model?

The key components of the cascode amplifier small signal model include the input and output resistances, the transconductance of each transistor, and the capacitances between the different nodes of the circuit. These components can be used to calculate the overall gain, bandwidth, and other characteristics of the amplifier.

5. How does the cascode amplifier small signal model differ from other amplifier models?

The cascode amplifier small signal model differs from other amplifier models in that it takes into account the unique characteristics of the cascode topology. This includes the use of two transistors in series and the resulting changes in the input and output impedances, as well as the overall gain and bandwidth of the circuit.