Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem.

In summary: Then, because the dot product of two vectors is just the product of their vectors, the angle between the normal and the vector r is the angle between the planes.
Gaz031
I've no idea what to do with this, the examples didn't have anything of this style:

The point A has coordinates (3,0,0), the point B has coordinates, (0,3,0), the point C has coordinates (0,0,7). Find, to 0.1 degrees, the sizes of the angle between the planes OAB and ABC, where O is the origin.

Could someone give me an idea of what to do? I've only just introduced myself to cartesian coordinates/vectors in 3 dimensions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The plane OAB is simply the xy-plane.
By symmetry you can see (draw a picture) that the angle between the planes is
the same as the angle between the vector [1,1,0] and the vector [-1/2,-1/2,3].

The thing is, i have no idea how to calculate angles in 3d. I always thought of angles as 2 dimensional.

I suggust drawing the points first then sketching the plane OAB and ABC. Then you can treat this as a simple Pythagorean then trig question. As Galileo has stated, the drawing will be in symmetry.

a hint would be finding the length of AB and the line from origin to the midpt of AB

Galileo said:
The plane OAB is simply the xy-plane.
By symmetry you can see (draw a picture) that the angle between the planes is
the same as the angle between the vector [1,1,0] and the vector [-1/2,-1/2,3].

I can't draw 3d shapes but I've sketched it as best as i can. Where did you get the coordinates 1,1,0 and -.5,-.5,3 from? What mathematical process? I hate crappy 3d vectors especially with this crappy book that throws you a question without any method for doing it.

Last edited:
manixc said:
I suggust drawing the points first then sketching the plane OAB and ABC. Then you can treat this as a simple Pythagorean then trig question. As Galileo has stated, the drawing will be in symmetry.

a hint would be finding the length of AB and the line from origin to the midpt of AB

I know the length of AB is root3. The line AB has equation 3y+3x-9=0. Neither do i understand how you can have a three dimensional angle without making a whole lot of extra degrees or using two angles and reinventing trigonometry.

Last edited:
A is on the x-axis and B is on the y-axis. The plane OAB is just the xy-plane.
The plane OAB crosses OAB in the line AB. The "angle" between the planes is the angle between a line in OAB perpendicular to AB and a line in ABC perpendicular to AB, that is between the line through (0,0,7) perpendicular to AB and the line through (0,0,0) perpendicular to AB.

Gaz031 said:
The thing is, i have no idea how to calculate angles in 3d. I always thought of angles as 2 dimensional.

Two nonzero, nonparallel vectors (in whatever dimension) determine a plane.
The angle between those vectors is an angle on that plane.

Given nonzero vectors [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex], the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between them can be determined by using two expressions for the dot-product [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec B[/itex].

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y +A_z B_z= |\vec A| |\vec B| \cos\theta [/tex]

robphy said:
Two nonzero, nonparallel vectors (in whatever dimension) determine a plane.
The angle between those vectors is an angle on that plane.

Given nonzero vectors [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex], the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between them can be determined by using two expressions for the dot-product [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec B[/itex].

[tex]\vec A \cdot \vec B = A_x B_x + A_y B_y +A_z B_z= |\vec A| |\vec B| \cos\theta [/tex]

Sometimes the angle between two planes is determined by first computing the angle between the normal vectors to a plane. The normal to a plane [tex]\vec n[/tex] is simply a vector perpendicular to the plane. The vector equation of a plane (fyi) is written concisely as

[tex]\vec n \cdot \vec r = 0[/tex]

Here [tex]\vec r[/tex] is a vector perpendicular to n, which means r lies in the plane.

Related to Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem.

1. What are Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem?

Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem refer to a mathematical system used to locate points in a three-dimensional space. It uses three perpendicular axes, typically labeled as x, y, and z, to describe the position of a point in relation to a fixed origin.

2. How do you plot points using Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem?

To plot a point using Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem, you first need to determine its x, y, and z values. Then, you can plot the point by moving along the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis according to these values from the origin. The point will be located at the intersection of the three axes.

3. What is the difference between Cartesian coordinates in 2D and 3D problem?

The main difference between Cartesian coordinates in 2D and 3D problem is the number of axes used to describe the position of a point. In 2D, there are only two axes (x and y), while in 3D, there are three axes (x, y, and z). This allows for a more precise location of a point in a three-dimensional space.

4. Why are Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem important in science?

Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem are important in science because they provide a standardized system for describing the location of objects in a three-dimensional space. This allows scientists to accurately measure and analyze data, and make predictions and models based on the position of objects in the physical world.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem?

One drawback of using Cartesian coordinates in 3D problem is that it can be difficult to visualize and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space. It also does not account for the curvature of the Earth, making it less accurate for large-scale measurements. Additionally, it is not suitable for describing objects in non-Cartesian systems, such as polar or cylindrical coordinates.