Cartesian coordinates and torque

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the torque (represented by the symbol tau_B) caused by a force F_vec around the point B, which is located at Cartesian coordinates (0, b) and a distance b from the origin along the y axis. The participants discuss using trigonometric functions such as sin and tan to express the torque in terms of F, theta, phi, pi, and/or other given coordinate data. However, there is confusion and difficulty in understanding how to find the perpendicular component of the force.
RhysticGenesis
This section I don't understand at all... but the problem is What is the torque tau_B due to force F_vec about the point B? (B is the point at Cartesian coordinates (0, b), located a distance b from the origin along the y axis.)
Express the torque about point B in terms of F, theta, phi, pi, and/or other given coordinate data. an image can be found at
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1011042/19/MRB_rk_0.jpg

I put in F*b*sin(pi-(theta)) it noted that I was wrong... I don't understand? and that's just hte beginning of my problems in this section :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque "due to force F around point B" is the product the distance from B to the point at which F is applied and the component of F perpendicular to the line from B to the point where F is applied.

so b*F*tan(pi-(theta)) ? I still don't understand I know if I do sin(pi-(theta)) Its opp over hyp so it would be parallel to b but I am not sure what trig woudl get it to go perp then

Related to Cartesian coordinates and torque

1. What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system of describing the position of a point in space using two or three numerical values, usually denoted as (x,y) or (x,y,z). This system was developed by the French mathematician Rene Descartes in the 17th century and is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How do Cartesian coordinates relate to torque?

Cartesian coordinates are used to describe the position of an object in space, and torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In order to calculate torque, the distance between the point of rotation (fulcrum) and the point where the force is applied (lever arm) must be known. This distance can be determined using Cartesian coordinates.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque refers to a rotational force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while negative torque causes an object to rotate counterclockwise. This is determined by the direction of the force relative to the direction of the lever arm, which is described using Cartesian coordinates.

4. How do you calculate torque using Cartesian coordinates?

To calculate torque, you need to know the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is applied, as well as the magnitude and direction of the force. Using Cartesian coordinates, you can determine the distance between the two points and the angle between the force and the lever arm. The torque can then be calculated using the equation: torque = force x distance x sin(angle).

5. What is the significance of the origin in Cartesian coordinates?

The origin, denoted as (0,0) in two dimensions or (0,0,0) in three dimensions, is the point where all coordinate values are equal to zero. This point serves as a reference for all other points in the system. In terms of torque, the origin is important because it is the point around which an object will rotate when a torque is applied.