Carnot Cycle Graphs: Understand Work and Temperature

In summary, the conversation was about the relationship between volume, pressure, and temperature in a graph. The area under the curve in a volume vs. pressure graph represents work, but it is difficult to reconcile this with a pressure vs. temperature or temperature vs. volume graph. The area inside the box on these graphs represents phase existence and is not mathematically significant. To calculate energy and work, a graph of pressure vs. volume is needed.
Bengo
Hello,

In the Volume vs. pressure graph I understand the area under the curve is work. However, I have a hard time reconciling this graph with a pressure vs. temperature or a temperature vs. volume graph. What does the area inside the box represent? Work? Like which parts on the P vs. V graph correspond to the parts on these graphs. I'm so confused. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Bengo said:
Hello,

In the Volume vs. pressure graph I understand the area under the curve is work. However, I have a hard time reconciling this graph with a pressure vs. temperature or a temperature vs. volume graph. What does the area inside the box represent? Work? Like which parts on the P vs. V graph correspond to the parts on these graphs. I'm so confused. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

They are used to represent phase diagrams. The area under pressure temperature graph denotes phase existences and is mathematically not denoting anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_diagram

If you want to calculate energy and work then P against V (it is usually this way) rather than P or V against T is the graph you need.

Related to Carnot Cycle Graphs: Understand Work and Temperature

1. What is a Carnot cycle graph?

A Carnot cycle graph is a graphical representation of the Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient heat engine possible. It shows the relationship between work and temperature in an idealized system.

2. How does a Carnot cycle graph help in understanding work and temperature?

A Carnot cycle graph helps in understanding work and temperature by visually illustrating the relationship between these two variables in an idealized system. It shows how the work output of an engine is affected by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

3. What are the key components of a Carnot cycle graph?

The key components of a Carnot cycle graph include the isothermal processes, adiabatic processes, and the Carnot efficiency. The isothermal processes are represented by horizontal lines, the adiabatic processes by diagonal lines, and the Carnot efficiency is the ratio of the work output to the heat input.

4. How can a Carnot cycle graph be used to calculate the efficiency of a heat engine?

A Carnot cycle graph can be used to calculate the efficiency of a heat engine by measuring the area enclosed by the graph. This area represents the work output, and by dividing it by the heat input, the Carnot efficiency can be determined.

5. What are the limitations of using a Carnot cycle graph?

The limitations of using a Carnot cycle graph include the fact that it is based on an idealized system and does not take into account real-world factors such as friction and heat loss. Additionally, it can only be used for reversible processes and does not apply to all types of heat engines.