Career path for physics (Pure research)

In summary: But you don't have to worry, it's a tough field and there are many hurdles before you can get any kind of job security and many depending on pure luck in addition to your own ability. Getting admitted into a PhD program is just the first bottleneck, only a minority of PhDs get a fixed position in academia in the end. I am not saying this to discourage you, only to make sure you know what you are getting into.
Richa Sharma
Hi guys! Sorry I'm new so the questions might seen a bit vague but I'm unclear about a lots of things
I want to make a career purely in physics, I'd prefer cosmology and theoretical physics because that was I was so interested in from beginning. But I've heard the career in theoretical physics is tough/more like unstable and I should go for experimental.
If I go for experimental physics what huge difference will it be from theoretical one or it is data analysis majorly.
And if I dare to chose theoretical physics over it what kind of projects can one do in undergraduate level in Quantum Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics research in general (both theoretical and experimental) is a tough career choice and there are several hurdles before you can get any kind of job security and many depending on pure luck in addition to your own ability. Getting admitted into a PhD program is just the first bottleneck, only a minority of PhDs get a fixed position in academia in the end. I am not saying this to discourage you, only to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Given the above, I think it is essential that you really enjoy what you are doing so do not pick something that you are not excited about. That being said, you are still an undergraduate according to your profile and I think you will have some time still before you pass the point of no return with regards to whether to go experimental or theoretical.

Dear Richa,
The suggested career paths are as follows:
1. Theoretical physics:
QM+EM+SM+CM+SR+GR+GroupTh+Real analysis+Complex analysis----->Grad school---->Post-doc--->Find jobs
2. Experimental physics:
QM+EM+SM+CM+SR+Electronics+Laser&optics+Solid state------->Grad school------->Post-doc--->Find jobs

I hope you can find the above useful. Like you, I am equally interested in both experimental and theoretical physics so I took basically all courses in the department encompassing both experimental and theoretical physics in my undergrad. My dream is to be a physicist. I wish I can get admitted into physics PhD this year.

td21

Last edited:
Likes Richa Sharma
td21 said:
Dear Richa,
The suggested career paths are as follows:
1. Theoretical physics:
QM+EM+SM+CM+SR+GR+GroupTh+Real analysis+Complex analysis----->Grad school---->Post-doc--->Find jobs
2. Experimental physics:
QM+EM+SM+CM+SR+Electronics+Laser&optics+Solid state------->Grad school------->Post-doc--->Find jobs

I hope you can find the above useful. Like you, I am equally interested in both experimental and theoretical physics so I took basically all courses in the department encompassing both experimental and theoretical physics in my undergrad. My dream is to be a physicist. I wish I can get admitted into physics PhD this year.

td21
That is great you took all those courses...
Thank you so much! And good luck, I hope you make it.

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in physics. I can provide some insights and advice on the career path for pure research in physics.

First of all, it's important to understand that both theoretical and experimental physics are equally important and valuable in advancing our understanding of the universe. While theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories and models, experimental physics involves conducting experiments and analyzing data to test these theories.

In terms of career prospects, it is true that there may be more job opportunities in experimental physics, as many industries and research institutions require data analysis skills. However, if your passion lies in theoretical physics, it is important to follow your interests and pursue what you love. With dedication and hard work, you can definitely have a successful career in theoretical physics.

If you do decide to pursue experimental physics, some of the differences you may encounter include a focus on practical skills such as designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and writing technical reports. On the other hand, theoretical physics may involve more mathematical and analytical skills, as well as computer simulations and theoretical calculations.

In terms of undergraduate level projects in quantum mechanics, there are many exciting and interesting topics you can explore. Some examples include studying the properties of quantum entanglement, investigating quantum computing algorithms, or exploring the applications of quantum mechanics in nanotechnology.

Overall, my advice would be to follow your interests and passions in physics, whether it be in theoretical or experimental research. With dedication and hard work, you can have a successful and fulfilling career in either path. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to Career path for physics (Pure research)

1. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths. Many physics graduates choose to pursue careers in pure research, working in academia or research institutions. Other options include careers in industry, such as working for technology companies, government agencies, or research and development companies. Some physics graduates also pursue careers in finance, data science, or consulting.

2. What skills do I need to become a successful physics researcher?

To succeed in pure research in physics, you will need a strong background in math and problem-solving skills. You should also have excellent critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think creatively and approach problems from different perspectives. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as you will often work with other researchers and present your findings to others.

3. What are the steps to becoming a physics researcher?

The first step to becoming a physics researcher is to obtain a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. After that, most researchers pursue a graduate degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D. in physics. During graduate school, you will focus on a specific area of research and work closely with a mentor or advisor. After completing your degree, you can apply for postdoctoral positions or research jobs in academia or industry.

4. What are the job prospects for physics researchers?

The job prospects for physics researchers are generally very good. The demand for physicists in various fields, including technology, energy, and healthcare, is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. However, competition for research positions can be fierce, so it is essential to have a strong research background and skills to stand out in the job market.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in the field of physics?

To stay updated on the latest developments in physics, it is crucial to regularly read scientific journals and attend conferences and seminars. You can also join professional organizations in your field, which often offer workshops, webinars, and networking opportunities. Networking with other researchers and staying connected to your academic community can also help you stay informed about the latest advancements in the field.