Career options with a MS in physics

In summary, the individual has a Master's degree in physics from the University of New Hampshire and has completed all necessary coursework for a PhD but chose to leave with a Master's and pursue a high school teaching job. However, after 3 years of unsuccessful job searching, they are now considering other options. They have a background in nuclear theory and mathematics, but are unsure of what they want to do. They have looked into job sites and considered applying for a job at a nuclear power plant, but are hesitant due to the emphasis on engineering. They have also tried to find a teaching job, but have had no luck due to limited openings and the need for a credential. They are now considering working in the defense industry, but do not want
quanta137
Hello,

I have been reading this thread hoping to find some advice to would apply to me. I have a Master's in physics from the University of New Hampshire. I had actually passed the PHD qualifying exam, and also completed all of the PHD course work before I decided to leave with a Master's degree and pursue a high school teaching job. I have been trying to find such a job for the last 3 years with no luck, and so I have decided to re-consider my options. My thesis was on Kaon Nucleon scattering in lattice QCD, and most of my research was on nuclear theory. I also have a pretty extensive mathematics background. My problem is that I am not sure what it is that I really want to do. I keep searching and checking job sites, like craigslist and monster.com, but nothing has jumped out at me yet. I have been mulling over applying at a nuclear power plant, but it seems they are more interested in engineers then in physicists. My only programming experience is with Mathematica, which I am very well versed in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're interested in nuclear issues, have you looked at the http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/employment.html"? They hire master's-level physicists for their professional development program (in general, at least; I don't know what their current hiring status is).

Beyond that, your question is pretty broad. Any narrowing down you can do as far as subject areas that you're interested in?

Last edited by a moderator:
You couldn't get a job teaching high school? Any thoughts on that situation? Teaching high school is my double secret backup plan :cry:

JDGates said:
If you're interested in nuclear issues, have you looked at the http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/employment.html"? They hire master's-level physicists for their professional development program (in general, at least; I don't know what their current hiring status is).

Beyond that, your question is pretty broad. Any narrowing down you can do as far as subject areas that you're interested in?

I just checked out their site. Thanks for the heads up, it sounds like it would be great for me, plus they have a location in PA near where I am planning to move. They also want people without experience, which is something I am really looking for. I wish I could narrow down what I am interested in, I think that is a big part of the problem. I don't know what I am interested in. I want something interesting that pays well and will train me. I don't want anything where I would have to do any programing, or learn a computer language like C++. I am interested in working in either PA or the San Francisco bay area. I currently like in SF. I would love to work for like a defense contractor, but I doubt they hire theoretical physicists.

So about being a high school teacher. I have tried for three years with no luck so far. I have applied to credential programs, I have tried to get into fellowship programs, I have even worked as a sub to try to get an in with the district. I even worked as a PE teacher for a year, and so far none of it has paid off. The district out here is hardly doing any hiring, and the few jobs that do open up, want someone who already has a credential. This has been so frustrating.

There are jobs in the defense industry, both in government and at contractors, for people with your background; not a lot, perhaps, but they're there. Not being willing to do any programming cuts down a lot of those, however, and your geographic preferences probably eliminate most of the rest.

Related to Career options with a MS in physics

What job opportunities are available for someone with a MS in physics?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for individuals with a MS in physics. Some common careers include research and development, data analysis, engineering, and teaching. With a strong background in math and problem solving, physicists can also work in fields such as finance, computer science, and healthcare.

What skills and knowledge do I gain from a MS in physics that can be applied to different careers?

A MS in physics equips you with a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem solving, and data analysis. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of industries. Additionally, you will gain a deep understanding of physical principles and mathematical concepts that can be used in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

What industries can I work in with a MS in physics?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, and government. With a MS in physics, you may also have the opportunity to work in cutting-edge fields such as nanotechnology, biophysics, and renewable energy.

What are some advanced degrees that I can pursue with a MS in physics?

Some common advanced degrees that individuals with a MS in physics pursue include a PhD in physics, a Master's in engineering, or a Master's in education. These degrees can open up even more career opportunities and allow you to specialize in a specific area of physics.

What can I do with a MS in physics if I don't want to work in a traditional science-related career?

If you don't want to pursue a traditional science-related career, there are still plenty of options for individuals with a MS in physics. You can work in fields such as finance, data analysis, or consulting, where your strong analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued. You can also consider pursuing a career in science communication or policy, where you can use your knowledge of physics to educate others and make a difference in society.