Career Choices with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics.

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to attend graduate school for a masters and PhD in math to become a professor, but concerns about the difficulty and stress. They inquire about alternative career options with a B.S. in Applied mathematics. The conversation suggests considering research opportunities in fields such as biology, as well as applying to international companies with graduate training programs. They also recommend speaking with a career service to explore interests and potential job opportunities.
CornMuffin
I am currently a junior in College, and for awhile now, I have had my heart set on going to graduate school to get a masters and PhD, and eventually become a professor. But lately, I have been thinking that Graduate school in math may be a bit too hard and stressful for me. What are some other career options that I have with a B.S. in Applied mathematics besides teaching at the high school level or lower?Sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

Physics news on Phys.org
CornMuffin said:
What are some other career options that I have with a B.S. in Applied mathematics besides teaching at the high school level or lower?

There are many options. When you say that you expect graduate school may be too difficult, which subject area are you thinking about? What are your interests in applied mathematics? There are mathematical projects I've seen and worked with in the biology field, and the actual mathematics can be fairly straightforward (considering in a Ph.D you'll spend all of your time looking at it). There are certainly numerous research areas that exist as options for you to consider, with varying levels of difficulty.

Otherwise, I expect that you would be able to apply to many international scale companies that have graduate training programmes (companies like IBM, AT&T, NASA, Selex, Shell and so on). Generally the requirements for things like this will be for the applicant to have a physical science or the like degree, and they'll teach you what you need to know on the job. For an idea of the kind of companies and work you could look at, I would speak to your careers service to get a better idea of what your interests are.

Some expamples off the top of my head illustrating the range will be from a business statistician, accountant to a meteorologist or working for a medical device company.

Related to Career Choices with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics.

1. What types of careers can I pursue with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics?

With a B.S. in Applied Mathematics, you can pursue a career in a variety of fields, including finance, data analysis, statistics, computer science, engineering, and more. This degree provides you with a strong foundation in mathematical principles and problem-solving skills, making you a valuable asset in many industries.

2. What skills will I gain with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics?

Through a B.S. in Applied Mathematics, you will gain strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. You will also develop a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, including calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Additionally, you will gain proficiency in computer programming and data analysis.

3. Are there job opportunities for applied mathematicians?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for individuals with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of mathematicians is projected to grow 26% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing use of mathematical and statistical techniques in fields such as data analysis, finance, and engineering.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics?

Yes, many graduate programs accept students with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics. You can pursue a master's or Ph.D. in fields such as mathematics, statistics, data science, or other related fields. A graduate degree can open up opportunities for higher-level positions and higher salaries.

5. How can I use my B.S. in Applied Mathematics in the real world?

Applied mathematics is used in a variety of real-world applications, including finance, economics, engineering, healthcare, and more. With this degree, you can work as a data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, software engineer, or in many other roles that require strong mathematical skills. You can also apply your knowledge to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact in the world.