Career Advice Needed (Aerospace)

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to transition into the aerospace field from their current background in mechanical engineering and project management. They are interested in pursuing a career in engineering within the aviation industry and are considering using their savings for graduate school, but are unsure of the specific path to take. They have experience as a student engineer and as a contracting officer's technical representative for ship maintenance, but are looking for more hands-on engineering work. Any advice from someone already in the industry would be appreciated.
funstew
I want to get into the aerospace field but my background right now doesn't really apply. I went to a military academy out of high school and majored in mechanical engineering. I've worked as a student engineer on a ship (mostly the job involved standing engine room watch, managing a divisional budget, keeping track of inventory...) and for the last three years I have been acting as a contracting officer's technical representative for ships going through dry dock maintenance, which basically involves checking work to make sure contractors are following specification, tracking government furnished equipment and other project management type stuff. However, I don't really like my job. Aerospace and aviation in general has always fascinated me and I would love to get involved in the industry and do more engineering and less project management. I will be separating from the military next March (obligated time will be over) but don't really know where to go from there. I have saved up money to use for grad school and I assume that is what I should do but not sure where to go or exactly what to study. Any advice from someone already in the industry would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Be a mechanical engineer and design the swashplates and other mechanical systems for helicopters. For the most part, subsonic airfoil and fuselage design is understood and wings don't need lots of engineering to make.

Related to Career Advice Needed (Aerospace)

1. What type of education is needed for a career in aerospace?

To pursue a career in aerospace, a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is typically required. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to choose a program that is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) to ensure quality education.

2. What skills are important for a career in aerospace?

Some of the key skills needed for a successful career in aerospace include strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and excellent communication and teamwork skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with programming languages can be beneficial.

3. How do I gain experience in the aerospace industry?

There are several ways to gain experience in the aerospace industry, including internships, research opportunities, and co-op programs. These can be found through university career centers or by directly contacting aerospace companies. Volunteering at organizations related to aerospace, attending conferences and networking events, and participating in projects or competitions can also help build relevant experience.

4. What are the job prospects for a career in aerospace?

The job outlook for careers in aerospace is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is driven by advancements in technology and the increasing demand for air travel. However, competition for positions in the industry can be high, so gaining relevant experience and developing a strong skill set can increase job prospects.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a career in aerospace?

My advice would be to start by researching different career paths within the aerospace industry and identifying which align with your interests and strengths. Networking with professionals in the field and gaining hands-on experience through internships or volunteering can also help you gain a better understanding of the industry and make informed career decisions. It is also important to continuously develop your skills and stay up-to-date with advancements in technology, as the aerospace industry is constantly evolving.