Cardinalities of Sets: Prove |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)| and |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)|

• Thread starter cxc001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, to prove that the open intervals (0,1) and (0,2) have the same cardinalities, we need to construct a function f: (0,1)->(0,2) that is a bijection. This can be done by defining a linear function f(x)=2x from (0,1) to (0,2). Additionally, to prove that |(0,1)|=|(a,b)| where a, b are real numbers and a<b, the same process of constructing a bijection function can be used.
cxc001
How to prove the open intervals (0,1) and (0,2) have the same cardinalities? |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)|

Let a, b be real numbers, where a<b. Prove that |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)|

-----------------------------------
|(0,1)| = |R| = c by Theorem
-----------------------------------

I know that we need to construct a function f: (0,1)->(0,2) and prove f is bijection so that |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)|

same process of proving |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)|

but how to construct a function f: (0,1)->(0,2)
and how to construct a function g: (0,1)->(a,b) where a<b and a,b are real numbers?

I know how to construct a function f: (0,1)->R
by define a function f(x)=(1-2x)/[x(x-1)] where x cannot be 0 and 1 and when the middle domain(f)=1/2, f(1/2)=0

How can I expand this knowledge and to define a function that the domain(f) is within (0,1) and the range(f) falls into (0,2) or any close interval (a,b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try constructing a linear function from (0, 1) to (0, 2).

Yeah, my bet! a, b are real numbers

I've constructed a linear function f: (0,1)->(0,2) defined by f(x)=2x
such that f(1/2)=1, when x=1/2 (mid point of domain), y=1 (mid point of range)
This linear function is certainly bijection, therefore |(0,1)|=|(0,2)|

But how to prove |(0,1)|=|(a,b)| where a, b are real numbers and a<b?

Related to Cardinalities of Sets: Prove |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)| and |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)|

1. What is a cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the measure of the number of elements in a set. It is denoted by the symbol |S|, where S is the set.

2. How do you prove that two sets have the same cardinality?

To prove that two sets have the same cardinality, you need to show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. This means that every element in one set can be paired with a unique element in the other set.

3. What does |(a, b)| mean?

The notation |(a, b)| represents the set of real numbers between a and b, not including a and b themselves. This is also known as an open interval.

4. How can you prove that |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)|?

To prove that |(0, 1)| = |(0, 2)|, you can use the function f(x) = 2x. This function maps every element in the set (0, 1) to a unique element in the set (0, 2), and vice versa. Therefore, there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets, and they have the same cardinality.

5. Can you use the same method to prove |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)| for any values of a and b?

Yes, the same method of finding a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets can be used to prove that |(0, 1)| = |(a, b)| for any values of a and b, as long as a < b. The function f(x) = (b-a)x + a can be used to map the elements of (0, 1) to the elements of (a, b) and vice versa.