Car impact at 90 degrees to each other (conservation of momentum)

In summary, two cars with masses of 1000 kg and 1400 kg collide at a right angle on icy roads and become entangled, moving off together with a common velocity of 4.6 m/s at a 25 degree angle to the vertical. The car A was traveling at 10 m/s before the impact. Using conservation of momentum and considering vertical and horizontal components separately, the corresponding velocity of car B just before impact can be calculated to be 3.3 m/s.
KESTRELx

Homework Statement

Two cars collide at right angle in the intersection of two icy roads. Car A has a mass of 1000 kg and car B 1400 kg. The cars become entangled and moved off together with a common velocity v’ in the direction indicated in figure QB4. If car A was traveling 10 m/s at the instant of impact, find
i) v’ and [13marks]
ii) the corresponding velocity of car B just before impact. [7 marks]

v’ is 25 degrees to the vertical, car A on the vertical axis car b on the horizontal axis

Homework Equations

M(a)V(a) + M(b)v(b) = m(t)v'
Ke=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i have drawn a few conclutions from this, one that the impact is elastic, as i don't physically have the the values to find the coefficient of restitution and i seem to remember that as they have become entangled nothing has reflected.

This means KE and momentum is conserved, However when canceling the Ke equations down. I'm left with effectivly the same equation just a squared in it.

conservation of momentum
10000 +1400v(b) = 2400v'

conservation of KE
M(a)V(a)^2 + M(b)v(b)^2 = m(t)v'^2

100000 + 1400v(b)^2 = 2400v'^2

substituting one into the other i get something incredibilly complicated and is unlikely to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
KESTRELx said:
Ok so i have drawn a few conclutions from this, one that the impact is elastic, as i don't physically have the the values to find the coefficient of restitution and i seem to remember that as they have become entangled nothing has reflected.

This means KE and momentum is conserved, However when canceling the Ke equations down. I'm left with effectivly the same equation just a squared in it.
Since the cars become entangled, the collision is perfectly inelastic. Kinetic energy is not conserved.

conservation of momentum
10000 +1400v(b) = 2400v'
Don't forget that momentum is a vector quantity. Treat vertical and horizontal components separately.

Oh snap.

so:
1000 x 10 = 2400 x cos(25) x v'

10000 / ( 2400 x cos (25) ) = v'

v' =4.6ms^-1

and then reversing this for the horizontal

1400v = 2400 x sin(25) x 4.6
v = (2400 x sin(25) x 4.6) / 1400
v= 3.3ms^-1

Good!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of conservation of momentum. In this scenario, the total momentum of the system (the two cars) before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momentums of the two cars before the collision is equal to the sum of their individual momentums after the collision.

Using this concept, I would set up the following equations:

M(a)V(a) + M(b)V(b) = M(a)V'(a) + M(b)V'(b)

Where M(a) and M(b) are the masses of car A and B respectively, V(a) and V(b) are their velocities before the collision, and V'(a) and V'(b) are their velocities after the collision.

Since we know that car A was traveling at 10 m/s before the collision, we can substitute this value into the equation:

1000(10) + 1400V(b) = 1000V'(a) + 1400V'(b)

Next, we can use the given information that the cars become entangled and move off together with a common velocity v' in the direction indicated. This means that V'(a) and V'(b) are equal and we can substitute V'(a) = V'(b) = v' into the equation:

1000(10) + 1400V(b) = 1000v' + 1400v'

Solving for v', we get v' = 12.5 m/s. This is the common velocity that the two cars move off together with after the collision.

To find the corresponding velocity of car B just before the impact, we can use the fact that the angle between the two cars is 90 degrees. This means that the momentum of car B before the collision is entirely in the horizontal direction. Thus, we can use the equation:

M(b)V(b) = M(b)V'(b)

Substituting in the values we know, we get:

1400V(b) = 1400(12.5)

Solving for V(b), we get V(b) = 12.5 m/s. This is the velocity of car B just before impact, which is equal to the common velocity v' after the collision.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would use the concept of conservation of momentum to solve this problem and find that

Related to Car impact at 90 degrees to each other (conservation of momentum)

1. What is the concept of conservation of momentum?

The concept of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision will remain constant. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision will be the same before and after the collision.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to car collisions at 90 degrees?

In a car collision at 90 degrees, the total momentum of the cars before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the cars will determine the outcome of the collision.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in car collisions?

The mass and velocity of the cars are the main factors that affect the conservation of momentum in car collisions. The angle of impact and any external forces, such as friction, can also affect the outcome of the collision.

4. How can the conservation of momentum be calculated in a car collision at 90 degrees?

The conservation of momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of each car by its velocity before the collision, and then adding these values together. This sum will be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. What are some real-life applications of the conservation of momentum in car collisions?

The conservation of momentum is used in analyzing and reconstructing car accidents to determine the cause and severity of the collision. It is also used in designing safety features for cars, such as crumple zones, to reduce the impact force during a collision.