Car battery life - playing radio

In summary, the conversation discusses the battery life of a car, specifically in relation to using electronic devices such as the radio. The participants mention that there is no way to accurately estimate the battery life without knowing specific details such as power consumption and battery capacity. They also suggest checking the cell-to-cell charge and using sacrificial probes to test the battery. The conversation ends with a playful remark about a user named Turbo.
Square1
How long have you ran your car battery running on "lowest key position", just playing the radio.

How long do you think a 05 model should have it's battery last for this. Range?

:]

Engineering news on Phys.org

There is no way to tell without knowing exactly how much power your electronic devices use, and the capacity of your battery. Plus things like age of the battery, if there was a full charge before you used it, etc.

seriously not even a rough estimate? it is year 2010 (correcting above) saab 93 sedan. not running ac, heating, headlights. no ball park figure?

ok screw it i don't know the year lol

Square1 said:
ok screw it i don't know the year lol

2008 - 2010 for sure though. oh well.

It would depend on the battery.

It would be a good idea to check the cell-to-cell charge from one pole. One weak cell (sulfated, perhaps) will kill that battery because it won't be able to take a full charge nor deliver the amperage that your application demands.

I always used sacrificial probes (an iron nail clamped in an alligator clip, for instance) to probe the acid in the cells. Car batteries are mass-produced and are not rigorously tested.

I mean if you can't play the radio for more than about 15 minutes, I'd bet that your battery was either not charged, or it is dying. But I don't think we could give you a reasonable estimate of what a fully charged, properly working battery should give you if we don't know the battery and we don't know the power consumption of your stereo system.

Ok fair enough. Thanks all.

Ps Turbo. That's nothing compared to once he casts his hallucinogenic spell to make you close your eyes and drift away. :s

Related to Car battery life - playing radio

What is the average lifespan of a car battery?

The average lifespan of a car battery is about 3-5 years, but this can vary depending on several factors such as the climate, driving habits, and maintenance.

Can playing the radio drain the car battery?

Yes, playing the radio can drain the car battery if the engine is not running. The radio draws power from the battery and can drain it if left on for a long period of time.

How can I prolong the life of my car battery?

To prolong the life of your car battery, make sure to keep it clean and free of corrosion. Also, avoid frequent short trips and make sure to have your battery tested regularly.

Will using a car charger while playing the radio affect the battery life?

Yes, using a car charger while playing the radio can affect the battery life. The charger will draw power from the battery, and if the engine is not running, it can drain the battery quickly.

What are the signs that my car battery needs to be replaced?

Some common signs that your car battery needs to be replaced include slow engine cranking, a check engine light, and a bloated battery case. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to have your battery tested and possibly replaced.