Car accelerating uniformly for 6s - kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses using the kinematic equation for constant acceleration to find the factor by which the distance traveled in 6 seconds is greater than the distance traveled in the 1st second. The equation requires knowing the initial position, initial velocity, and time, and the answer will include the unknown acceleration value.
krazykaci
A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly for 6s. The distance traveled in the 6s is greater than the distance traveled in the 1st second by a factor of what?

how would i go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation of kinematics at constant acceleration:

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t+\frac{a}{2}t^2[/tex]

Find x(6) and x(1). Then find the factor k such that x(6)=k*x(1). Makes sense?

Use your kinematic equation for distance.

ok I am going to say what i know

v.=0
t=6s
x.=0
a=unknown
but what would final x be?

final x is given by the equation of kinematics.. this is what it says: "give me an initial position, initial velocity and a time and I'll give you a final x"

but how can i use the equation when i don't know a, or final x and both are in the equation?

a is constant right? So its just a proportion. The answer will have accelerration in it.

Related to Car accelerating uniformly for 6s - kinematics

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a car accelerating uniformly for 6 seconds?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, u = 0 since the car starts from rest, and a is the acceleration of the car, which is constant at all times.

What is the acceleration of a car that uniformly accelerates for 6 seconds?

The acceleration of the car can be calculated using the formula a = (v-u)/t, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time. In this case, since the car is accelerating uniformly, the final velocity will be equal to the average velocity, which can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

How far does a car travel during 6 seconds of uniform acceleration?

The distance traveled by the car can be calculated using the formula s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, since the car is starting from rest, the initial velocity u = 0, and the acceleration is constant. Therefore, the distance traveled will depend on the value of the acceleration.

What is the difference between uniform acceleration and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration refers to a situation where the acceleration of an object remains constant throughout its motion. This means that the velocity of the object increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time. On the other hand, non-uniform acceleration refers to a situation where the acceleration changes at different points in time, resulting in a varying velocity.

How does the acceleration of a car affect its velocity and distance traveled during 6 seconds?

The acceleration of a car directly affects its velocity and distance traveled during 6 seconds. The higher the acceleration, the faster the car's velocity will increase, and the farther it will travel in the given time. Similarly, a lower acceleration will result in a slower increase in velocity and shorter distance traveled.