Captain America's shield bouncing

• Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shield
In summary, the shield is able to absorb energy and use it to bounce off of walls. This is likely done for the purposes of making the shield more effective when dealing with projectiles. However, it would actually be more effective if the shield absorbed the energy to contract and expand quickly, as this would minimize damage.
caljuice
So I finished watching the movie and they talk about how Captain America' shield is made out of vibranium, a material that is very good at absorbing energy. The shield bounces off walls like rubber. Does the ability to absorb energy actually make things more effective at bouncing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would do the opposite, but I'm not sure.

Does the ability to absorb energy actually make things more effective at bouncing?
--caljuice

Absorbs energy and does what with it? We have Piezo Electric materials that will actually generate a current if you squeeze them (quartz does this). If it absorbed the energy and just got hotter, the thing would just hit the wall, absorb the energy, get really hot, and drop. If it absorbed that energy to contract and expand in a very short time scale (like a rubber ball), it might be effective at bouncing. Also note that Hollywood and comic books alike ignore gravity when it's more convenient to do so.

caljuice said:
So I finished watching the movie and they talk about how Captain America' shield is made out of vibranium, a material that is very good at absorbing energy. The shield bounces off walls like rubber. Does the ability to absorb energy actually make things more effective at bouncing?

No. If you mean absorb energy as in absorb and dissipate, then the energy is not available for any new bouncing.

BTW, here is a locked thread about Captain America's Shield (comics/movie):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=382610

It's locked because it strayed from mainstream science. Let's take care not to have the same thing happen in this thread...

I'll say that the key to Captain America's powers is the same as the reason why bad guys can unload full clips at Rambo without hitting him. It's because the scriptwriters made it that way.

At this time, I'll exit stage left. ;)

Thread closed temporarily...

Related to Captain America's shield bouncing

1. How does Captain America's shield bounce back to him?

Captain America's shield is made of vibranium, a fictional metal that absorbs and redirects vibrations. This allows the shield to absorb the energy of impacts and then release it in the form of a bounce, returning to Captain America's hand.

2. Can the shield bounce off of any surface?

The shield can bounce off of most surfaces, including metal, concrete, and even trees. However, it may not bounce as effectively off of softer materials such as sand or water.

3. How does the shield know where to bounce back to?

The shield does not have any sensors or tracking devices. It is able to return to Captain America's hand because of his precise throwing skills and his ability to calculate and adjust for angles and trajectories.

4. Can the shield bounce multiple times in a row?

Yes, the shield can bounce multiple times in a row before returning to Captain America's hand. This is due to its unique properties and the way it absorbs and redirects energy.

5. Is the shield's bouncing ability scientifically possible?

While the specific properties of vibranium may not be scientifically possible, there are real materials that have similar properties, such as carbon nanotubes. However, the precision and accuracy of Captain America's shield bouncing may not be achievable in real life.