Capacitors with dielectric question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a dielectric in a capacitor and how it affects the capacitance. The equation C = ε A k/ d is suggested as a way to calculate the capacitance with a dielectric, but the formula is questioned as it results in a higher capacitance rather than a lower one. It is then explained that the dielectric actually increases the capacitance due to a decrease in voltage caused by the reduced electric field within the dielectric material. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of considering the dielectric constant when designing capacitors.
Daniiel
[PLAIN]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4058/15244008.jpg

so
C = epysilon A / d
C= (8.85x10^-12 x 5.0x10^-3)/0.002 = 2.2125x10^-11
so the capacitance of the capacitors is ^
then with a dielectric where k = 3
can i use this equation

C = epysilon A k/ d, just putting the k next to epysilon, i just read that's what you do in my book
but yeh
when i do that i get C = 6.6375x10^-11
then i just added them as parralell capacitors
but the 6.6375x10^-11 doesn't seem right to me, that formula must be wrong, is it?
i thought the dielectric made the capacitance lower

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the dielectric makes the capacitance higher. That is why a dielectric is applied!

ehild

Hi Daniiel! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Daniiel said:
… but the 6.6375x10^-11 doesn't seem right to me, that formula must be wrong, is it?
i thought the dielectric made the capacitance lower

No … the electric displacement field in the capacitor is the same, so the electric field (E = D/ε) is reduced, so the voltage is reduced (V = -∫Edx), so the capacitance (C = Q/V) is increased :smile:

see eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_constant" …

The dielectric constant is an essential piece of information when designing capacitors, and in other circumstances where a material might be expected to introduce capacitance into a circuit. If a material with a high dielectric constant is placed in an electric field, the magnitude of that field will be measurably reduced within the volume of the dielectric. This fact is commonly used to increase the capacitance of a particular capacitor design. The layers beneath etched conductors in printed circuit boards (PCBs) also act as dielectrics.​

Last edited by a moderator:
ohh the voltageee is decreased
thanks guys
so that looks correct?

I would like to clarify that the formula you are using for capacitance with a dielectric is correct. The dielectric material between the plates of a capacitor will increase the capacitance by a factor of k, which is known as the dielectric constant. This is because the presence of the dielectric material reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates.

In your calculation, you correctly used the formula C = epysilon A k/ d to find the new capacitance with the dielectric material. However, it seems that you may have made a mistake in adding the two parallel capacitors together. When capacitors are connected in parallel, their total capacitance is the sum of their individual capacitances. Therefore, the total capacitance in this case would be C + C = 2C, not C + 6.6375x10^-11 as you have calculated.

In conclusion, the formula C = epysilon A k/ d is correct for calculating capacitance with a dielectric, and the presence of the dielectric does indeed increase the capacitance. I would suggest double-checking your calculations for the total capacitance when the capacitors are connected in parallel.

Related to Capacitors with dielectric question

1. What is a capacitor with a dielectric?

A capacitor with a dielectric is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by using an insulating material called a dielectric. The dielectric material separates two conductive plates, allowing charge to build up on each plate when a voltage is applied.

2. How does a capacitor with a dielectric work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor with a dielectric, the electric field between the two plates causes positive and negative charges to build up on the plates. The dielectric material helps to increase the capacitance, or the ability to store charge, by reducing the electric field between the plates.

3. What are some common dielectric materials used in capacitors?

Some common dielectric materials used in capacitors include ceramic, paper, plastic, and electrolytic materials. The choice of dielectric material depends on the desired capacitance, operating voltage, and other factors.

4. What are the advantages of using a capacitor with a dielectric?

A capacitor with a dielectric offers several advantages, including higher capacitance, improved stability over a wide range of temperatures, and reduced risk of short circuits or breakdown due to the insulating properties of the dielectric material.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor with a dielectric for my application?

The right capacitor with a dielectric for your application will depend on factors such as the required capacitance, operating voltage, size constraints, and environmental conditions. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to a datasheet to select the appropriate capacitor for your specific needs.