Capacitor current in function of time

In summary, a capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It charges when connected to a power source and discharges when the power source is removed. The capacitor current in function of time is a graphical representation of how the current changes as the capacitor charges or discharges. The rate of change of capacitor current is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and resistance in the circuit. The equation for capacitor current in function of time is I(t) = C(dV/dt), where I(t) is the current at a given time, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.
jaumzaum
In a circuit of 1 generator (U) 1 resistor (R) and one capacitor (C), how do I calculate the current i in function of time,
as well as the energy dissipated by the resistor during the time the capacitor is charged?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, you will need to show us some effort before you get any help.

I have no idea on how to solve this.

I would try to integrate I

[itex]\int \frac{C.dV}{dt}[/itex]

But V changes during time

I think [itex]V = Q/C [/itex]
[itex] V=U-R.i [/itex] and
[itex]Q = \int I.dt [/itex]

But how do I put all together?

Last edited:

Related to Capacitor current in function of time

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

How does a capacitor charge and discharge?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, it charges by accumulating electrons on one of its plates. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the capacitor is said to be charged. When the power source is removed, the capacitor discharges as the electrons flow back to the other plate, creating an electric current.

What is capacitor current in function of time?

Capacitor current in function of time is a graphical representation of the flow of electric current as a capacitor charges or discharges over time. It shows how the current changes as the capacitor's charge increases or decreases.

What factors affect the rate of change of capacitor current?

The rate of change of capacitor current is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage of the power source, and the resistance in the circuit. A higher capacitance or voltage will result in a faster rate of change, while a higher resistance will slow down the rate of change.

What is the equation for capacitor current in function of time?

The equation for capacitor current in function of time is I(t) = C(dV/dt), where I(t) is the current at a given time, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.