Canuck history as Vancouver hockey

• History
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the first game of the playoffs between the Canucks and the Stars went down in history as Vancouver blew a two-goal, third-period lead before eventually winning 5-4 in quadruple overtime. Some individuals, such as a poster named JasonRox, believe that the NHL has become boring due to excessive penalty calling and that the Stanley Cup win by the Carolina Hurricanes last year was a result of bad penalty calls. Others, like the original poster, are disappointed with the performance of their favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and suggest changes such as trading captain Mats Sundin and bringing back former head coach Pat Quinn. Many also express frustration with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and his handling of the league. Overall, there is a consensus
Smurf
Science news on Phys.org
Sorry, forgot which forum I was in.

The NHL is boring now. They took all the fun out of it with all the penalty calling. Carolina won the cup last year all on bad penalty calls on the other team. If you watched the games, you'll see what I mean. It's quite sad. It's not a big surprise that they didn't make the playoffs this year.

Also, the same thing is happening this year. Did you watch the Penguins game? Man, that was brutal with penalty calling. The first Crosby goal should have counted. He did not kick it in. They decided...

NEVERMIND! Damn post got lost.

Anyways, new hockey equals boring. NBA playoffs coming up.

JasonRox said:
The NHL is boring now. They took all the fun out of it with all the penalty calling. Carolina won the cup last year all on bad penalty calls on the other team. If you watched the games, you'll see what I mean. It's quite sad. It's not a big surprise that they didn't make the playoffs this year.
I was cheering for the Oilers :cry: :cry: :cry: I braved death to go watch those games...I really thought they were going to win.

I was cheering for them again this year to...how incredibly disappointing.

scorpa said:
JasonRox said:
I was cheering for the Oilers :cry: :cry: :cry: I braved death to go watch those games...I really thought they were going to win.

I was cheering for them again this year to...how incredibly disappointing.

It's even worse considering my favourite team has terrible management. That is the Leafs. Fire Ferguson, trade Sundin, send Kubina to the minors, and play both goalies next year!

In fact, I was happy they didn't make the playoffs. They didn't deserve to go. Not lots of pressure rests on them and I hope they don't make it next year again until management wakes up!

I went to a hockey game and said the above, and fellow Leaf fans agree. If you watch TSN or Sportsnet, they also agree that this should all be done too.

The real thrill at the moment is the Swedish Championship final, where MoDo yesterday took a 3-2 lead against Linköping (best of seven matches).

perhaps leaf fans just suck...compare the home game versus away game winning percentages.

Didn't help that most of their major acquisitions had injuries...namely Peca and Kubina. With peca out they were getting dominated on the PK and D end.

Don't trade sundin ...trade McCabe fire ferguson and bring back Pat Quinn.

OH and man I'm glad i didn't stay up to watch teh canucks game...1am 2nd overtime..and i said forget it. Gotta love the commentators...

pass to OHLUND, SLAPSHOT, GOALLLLL.

disappointed that ATL lost. Toss up between OTT/PITTS want fleury to win...but you can't do much with D like that. its like WASH with Kolzig and ovechkin.

i hope the final 8 MINN, CGY,VAN,NASH, ATL, TB, OTT/PITTS, NYI because it would be nice to see SATAN/YASHIN/SMYTH get rings but buffalo will get by easily. Would be interesting if the 4 newere teams make it to the playoffs.

i want a NASH/ VAN v PITT/OTT final

and stupid NJ won...they were the reason why LEAFS got ousted and stupid leafs taking out 2 CDN teams in one game.

Last edited:
neurocomp2003 said:
Don't trade sundin ...trade McCabe fire ferguson and bring back Pat Quinn.

I agree with one thing. Bring back Pat Quinn.

Trading Sundin is a hot topic. He's not a leader like some people think he is. If people actually listened to the hockey player interviews from the Leafs, you will see that none of the players talk about his leadership. Tucker even said once that it's rare that Sundin takes a leadership role. It's either you trade him or rip that C off clean. Trading Sundin also frees up $7 million in cap room, which is a lot. I wouldn't trade McCabe though. Just send him to the minors along with Kubina. You then save $10 million on cap room, plus Sundin, that's $17 million!

No offense to Sunding. But he's heading nowhere but downhill from here on out. Ferguson should never have been hired.

Now, Bettman is a whole other story. Only an idiot would re-sign him or hire him to begin with!

We were watching the Penguins game the other night. It was disgusting how many penalties were being called. The same thing with the Dallas game. It absolutely ruins the playoffs. I think the first period of the Dallas game had more penalty play minutes than even strength minutes. That's pathetic. The power play used to be a special circumstance in the playoffs. Now it's more common that 5 on 5.

Go Wings.

FredGarvin said:
We were watching the Penguins game the other night. It was disgusting how many penalties were being called. The same thing with the Dallas game. It absolutely ruins the playoffs. I think the first period of the Dallas game had more penalty play minutes than even strength minutes. That's pathetic. The power play used to be a special circumstance in the playoffs. Now it's more common that 5 on 5.

Go Wings.

The Ottawa Senators has 3:30 minutes of 5-3 time! THIS ISN'T SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME (i.e. Carolina (opposite team) and Calgary). They discussed before to make sure things like that doesn't happen because they said they didn't the playoffs to be decided based on 5-3's and stupid penalties.

Bettman ruined the game. He tried to follow suit with the NBA to open up the offense, but he DID too much. One step at a time man. Goalies can't go in the corner... dumbest thing ever.

Don't even get me started on Bettman. Anyone who knows hockey does not like the current state of the game.

Related to Canuck history as Vancouver hockey

1. What is the origin of the Vancouver Canucks hockey team?

The Vancouver Canucks were founded in 1970 as an expansion team in the National Hockey League (NHL). They were originally part of the Western Hockey League (WHL) until they joined the NHL in 1970.

2. Who are some notable players in the history of the Vancouver Canucks?

Some notable players in the history of the Vancouver Canucks include Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Trevor Linden, and Markus Naslund. The Sedin twins hold the record for most points by a pair of brothers in NHL history.

3. What are some memorable moments in Vancouver Canucks history?

Some memorable moments in Vancouver Canucks history include reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in 1982, 1994, and 2011, as well as winning the Presidents' Trophy in 2011. The team also had a record-breaking 16-game winning streak in the 1992-1993 season.

4. How have the Vancouver Canucks performed in recent years?

In recent years, the Vancouver Canucks have struggled to make the playoffs and have not advanced past the first round since 2011. However, they have had some young, promising players join the team and are looking to rebuild and improve in the future.

5. What impact has the Vancouver Canucks had on the city of Vancouver?

The Vancouver Canucks have a strong and loyal fan base in the city of Vancouver. They have also brought attention and recognition to the city on an international level through their success and presence in the NHL. The team also contributes to the local economy and community through various philanthropic efforts.

Back