Cantor-Bernstein Theorem proof

In summary: Referring to expression $(1)$, clearly elements like $f(x_0)$, $f(g(f(x_0)))$, $\cdots$ must be an element of $f(X)$ by definition. So it must be a term of the form like $g^{-1}(x_0)$ which is not an element of $f(X)$.
Usagi
I am self studying real analysis and I am doing an exercise which is proving the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem.

**Question:**

Assume there exists a 1-1 function $f:X \rightarrow Y$ and another 1-1 function $g:Y \rightarrow X$. Follow the steps to show that there exists a 1-1, onto function $h:X \rightarrow Y$ and hence $X \sim Y$.

*a)* The range of $f$ is defined by $f(X) = \{y \in Y : y = f(x) \ \text{for some} \ x \in X\}$. Let $y \in f(X)$. Explain why there exists a unique $x \in X$ such that $f(x) = y$. Now define $f^{-1}(y) = x$, and show that $f^{-1}$ is a 1-1 function from $f(X)$ onto $X$. In a similar way, we can also define the 1-1, onto function $g^{-1}: g(Y) \rightarrow Y$.

*b)* Let $x \in X$ be arbitrary. Let the chain $C_x$ be the set consisting of all elements of the form:
$$\cdots, f^{-1}(g^{-1}(x)), g^{-1}(x), x, f(x), g(f(x)), f(g(f(x))), \cdots $$

Explain why the number of elements to the left of $x$ in the above chain may be zero, finite, or infinite.

*c)* Show that any two chains are either identical or completely disjoint.

*d)* Note that the terms in the chain above alternate between elements of $X$ and elements of $Y$, i.e.,
$$\cdots, \underbrace{f^{-1}(g^{-1}(x))}_{\in X}, \underbrace{g^{-1}(x)}_{\in Y}, \underbrace{x}_{\in X}, \underbrace{f(x)}_{\in Y}, \underbrace{g(f(x))}_{\in X}, \underbrace{f(g(f(x)))}_{\in Y}, \cdots \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

Given a chain $C_x$, focus on $C_x \cap Y$, which is just the part of the chain that belongs to $Y$. Define the set $A$ to be the union of all chains $C_x$ satisfying $C_x \cap Y \subseteq f(X)$. Let $B$ be the set of the union of the remaining chains not in $A$. Show that any chain contained in $B$ must be of the form:

$$y, g(y), f(g(y)), g(f(g(y))), \cdots $$

where $y$ is an element of $Y$ that is not in $f(X)$.----------

**Queries:**

OK, I can do parts *a)* to *c)*, it is part *d)* which is confusing me right now. Here is my attempt so far.

Let $C_{x_0}$ be a chain in $B$, then clearly $C_{x_0} \cap Y \not \subseteq f(X)$, which means there must exist some $y \in Y$ with $y \in C_{x_0}$ such that $y \not \in f(X)$. Referring to expression $(1)$, clearly elements like $f(x_0)$, $f(g(f(x_0)))$, $\cdots$ must be an element of $f(X)$ by definition. So it must be a term of the form like $g^{-1}(x_0)$ which is not an element of $f(X)$. ----------

Now I am not exactly sure how to complete the remainder of the question, that is, the chains in $B$ must be of the form given in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usagi said:
I am self studying real analysis and I am doing an exercise which is proving the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem.

**Question:**

Assume there exists a 1-1 function $f:X \rightarrow Y$ and another 1-1 function $g:Y \rightarrow X$. Follow the steps to show that there exists a 1-1, onto function $h:X \rightarrow Y$ and hence $X \sim Y$.

*a)* The range of $f$ is defined by $f(X) = \{y \in Y : y = f(x) \ \text{for some} \ x \in X\}$. Let $y \in f(X)$. Explain why there exists a unique $x \in X$ such that $f(x) = y$. Now define $f^{-1}(y) = x$, and show that $f^{-1}$ is a 1-1 function from $f(X)$ onto $X$. In a similar way, we can also define the 1-1, onto function $g^{-1}: g(Y) \rightarrow Y$.

*b)* Let $x \in X$ be arbitrary. Let the chain $C_x$ be the set consisting of all elements of the form:
$$\cdots, f^{-1}(g^{-1}(x)), g^{-1}(x), x, f(x), g(f(x)), f(g(f(x))), \cdots $$

Explain why the number of elements to the left of $x$ in the above chain may be zero, finite, or infinite.

*c)* Show that any two chains are either identical or completely disjoint.

*d)* Note that the terms in the chain above alternate between elements of $X$ and elements of $Y$, i.e.,
$$\cdots, \underbrace{f^{-1}(g^{-1}(x))}_{\in X}, \underbrace{g^{-1}(x)}_{\in Y}, \underbrace{x}_{\in X}, \underbrace{f(x)}_{\in Y}, \underbrace{g(f(x))}_{\in X}, \underbrace{f(g(f(x)))}_{\in Y}, \cdots \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

Given a chain $C_x$, focus on $C_x \cap Y$, which is just the part of the chain that belongs to $Y$. Define the set $A$ to be the union of all chains $C_x$ satisfying $C_x \cap Y \subseteq f(X)$. Let $B$ be the set of the union of the remaining chains not in $A$. Show that any chain contained in $B$ must be of the form:

$$y, g(y), f(g(y)), g(f(g(y))), \cdots $$

where $y$ is an element of $Y$ that is not in $f(X)$.----------

**Queries:**

OK, I can do parts *a)* to *c)*, it is part *d)* which is confusing me right now. Here is my attempt so far.

Let $C_{x_0}$ be a chain in $B$, then clearly $C_{x_0} \cap Y \not \subseteq f(X)$, which means there must exist some $y \in Y$ with $y \in C_{x_0}$ such that $y \not \in f(X)$. Referring to expression $(1)$, clearly elements like $f(x_0)$, $f(g(f(x_0)))$, $\cdots$ must be an element of $f(X)$ by definition. So it must be a term of the form like $g^{-1}(x_0)$ which is not an element of $f(X)$. ----------

Now I am not exactly sure how to complete the remainder of the question, that is, the chains in $B$ must be of the form given in the question.

Define, for each $y\in Y$, a cahin $D_y$ as
$$\ldots,g^{-1}(f^{-1}(y)),f^{-1}(y),y,g(y),f(g(y)),\ldots$$

Note that, then $C_x=D_{f(x)}$.

Similarly $D_y=C_{g(y)}$ ---(1)

Now to tackle the question at hand.

Say, for simplicity $g^{-1}(x_0)$ is an element in $Y$ which is not in $f(X)$.

Then from $(1)$ we know that $D_{g^{-1}(x_0)}=C_{x_0}$.

Write $y=g^{-1}(x_0)$.
So we see that $D_y=C_{x_0}$.
This is precisely what we needed.

Using an induction argument you can prove the above in the general case.

You may find that the diagram and explanation given here helps you to visualise the structure of the proof.

Related to Cantor-Bernstein Theorem proof

1. What is the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem?

The Cantor-Bernstein Theorem, also known as the Schröder-Bernstein Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that if there exist injective functions from set A to set B and from set B to set A, then there exists a bijective function between the two sets.

2. What is the significance of the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem?

The Cantor-Bernstein Theorem is significant because it provides a method for proving that two sets have the same cardinality, even if one set is not a subset of the other. This is important in the study of infinite sets and has applications in various areas of mathematics, including topology and set theory.

3. How is the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem proved?

The Cantor-Bernstein Theorem is typically proved using a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that there does not exist a bijective function between the two sets and using the properties of injective functions to construct a contradiction. The proof also relies on the Axiom of Choice, which allows for the existence of a choice function that selects one element from each set.

4. Are there any limitations to the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem. It only applies to infinite sets and cannot be used to compare the cardinalities of finite sets. Additionally, the Axiom of Choice, which is used in the proof, is a controversial axiom in mathematics that some mathematicians choose not to accept.

5. What are some examples of the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem in action?

The Cantor-Bernstein Theorem can be used to prove that the cardinality of the set of real numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of irrational numbers. It can also be used to show that the cardinality of the set of rational numbers is equal to the cardinality of the set of integers. Additionally, the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem has applications in topology, where it is used to prove that two topological spaces are homeomorphic (have the same structure) if there exists a continuous bijective function between them.