Cantilever Beams - Do you have to make the cut at the 'free end'?

In summary, when calculating moments in a cantilever beam, it doesn't matter where you make the cut. The forces and moment around the cut end will be in opposite directions for the two cases (left and right sides of the cut).
chrissimpson
Hi there

Just a quick question; when I'm calculating moments in a cantilever beam (in my case a quarter circular one), is there any reason (apart from my own ineptitude) why I shouldn't be able to make the cut and FBD starting from the fixed end?

I get different answers when I make the cut at one end compared to the other.

Thanks very much for your help!

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't your free body diagram of the canliver itself:
a force on the free end, which you know, and a force on the fixed end ( where the cut is) along with a moment, both of which which you do not know.

It doesn't matter where you cut along the beam you should get the same answer. Make sure you use a consistent sign convention.

I mean it doesn't matter you do your analysis from the left cut section or the right. Just use a consistent convention for shear force and bending moment at the two sides of the cut.

Hi! Thanks for the help!

I've attached some of the working that I've completed - I seem to have come up with the right answer but would really appreciate it if someone could have a quick look over the working/diagram for me.

When completing the analysis I presume I'm right putting the forces and moment around the cut end in opposite directions for the two cases (i.e. when considering the left and then right sides of the cut)?

Am I correct in putting a reaction moment about the fixed end of the beam? Is this analogous to the reaction forces? Is this moment considered to be fixed (and therefore only taken into account) at the fixed end of the beam?

Thanks again for your time and help!

Chris

Attachments

• Moments.jpg
    Moments.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 573
I saw your working I think your problem arose from the way you refrenced the angle §. If the in the first analysis the angle is § to the vertical then in the second it should be (90-§) to the horizontal.

Some clarification of your diagrams would be useful.

You appear to be applying axial forces as well as transverse forces to your cantilever?

Your cantilever also appears to be vertical?

Studiot said:
Some clarification of your diagrams would be useful.

You appear to be applying axial forces as well as transverse forces to your cantilever?

Your cantilever also appears to be vertical?

studiot. Note that the cantilever is bent into a a quadrant of radius R. And also that is possible for such a bent beam to be load horizontally and vertically.

Note that the cantilever is bent into a a quadrant of radius R.

Thank you for this comment. Yes I thought the element appeared well bent. To well to allow the assumptions of simple beam theory I would have said.

Sorry for any confusion.

The beam is quarter circular, with a vertical load V and horizontal load H applied at the free end of the beam (the V and R noted at the base are reaction forces - I guess I should have called them Rv and Rh?)

I've noted and accounted for the differences in the angle datum by calculating the moment at theta=pi/2 in the first example and theta=0 in the second (for consistency I should really use the same reference point!). These both gave a moment of HR+VR and refer to the moment at the base of the beam.

Does my working seem reasonable and logical? I managed to get myself in a bit of a twist about all of this and just want to make sure that I've finally got to the correct answer (on both sides of the cut).

Thanks again!

Chris

Related to Cantilever Beams - Do you have to make the cut at the 'free end'?

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at one end and free to move at the other end. It is commonly used in construction and engineering to create overhangs or balconies.

2. Do you have to make the cut at the 'free end'?

Yes, the cut must be made at the free end of the cantilever beam. This is because the free end is the only point where the beam is not supported, so any forces acting on the beam will be concentrated at this point.

3. What is the purpose of making the cut at the 'free end'?

The purpose of making the cut at the free end is to analyze the behavior of the beam under different loads. This allows engineers to determine the strength and stability of the beam and ensure it can support the intended weight.

4. Can the cut be made at any other point along the beam?

No, the cut must be made at the free end of the cantilever beam. Making the cut at any other point would change the distribution of forces and alter the behavior of the beam.

5. Are there any exceptions to making the cut at the 'free end'?

In some cases, engineers may choose to make the cut at a different point along the beam if it is necessary for the specific design or if there are other supporting elements in place. However, in most cases, the cut is made at the free end for accurate analysis.