Cantilever Beam Theory: Calculations & Analysis - hmk999

In summary: It is important to consider the slope calculation in order to ensure the stud can withstand the load. As a first year apprentice in mechanical engineering, it is important to learn and understand these calculations in order to develop your skills and knowledge in the field. In summary, in order to determine the maximum allowable bending moment, deflection, and slope for the M30 x 150 stud size, you can consult manufacturer's specifications, use an FEA program, and consider the slope calculation.
hmk999
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3B1281F72DB8729B!122&authkey=!AIkfRcYK6Grz0jw

Can anyone please help? See link for sketch and calculations.

I have a M30 x 150 long stainless steel stud fully welded to a base plate that is under a load of 12.5 ton = 122583 N.

Using Cantilever beam theory I have produced two different sets of calculations using point load and UDL to see a comparison between the results.

Firstly can you please advise I have calculated these correctly?

Secondly, I have calculated the maximum bending moment to be -17774.5 Nm, How do I calculate what the maximum allowable bending moment for the M30 x 150 stud size?

Also for the maximum deflection and slop results, how can I calculate the maximum allowable deflection and slop?
I’m also unsure if the slop calculation is necessary for what I am trying to do which is to make sure the stud can withstand the load.

I’m a first year apprentice in mechanical engineering and it’s in my own interest to learn all this kind of thing because I have an opportunity to learn FEA later in the year.

Please help
hmk999

Engineering news on Phys.org
The maximum allowable bending moment for the M30 x 150 stud size depends on the material, grade, and other factors. You can consult the manufacturer's specifications or an engineering handbook to determine the specific value. Additionally, you can use a finite element analysis (FEA) program to calculate the maximum allowable bending moment for the stud size. The FEA program will also give you the maximum allowable deflection and slope values.

Related to Cantilever Beam Theory: Calculations & Analysis - hmk999

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported on one end and is free to move on the other end. It is commonly used in construction, bridges, and other engineering applications.

2. What is the cantilever beam theory?

The cantilever beam theory is a method for analyzing the behavior and stresses of a cantilever beam under various loads and boundary conditions. It involves calculating the deflection, bending moment, and shear force of the beam using mathematical equations and principles.

3. What are the key factors in cantilever beam analysis?

The key factors in cantilever beam analysis include the applied load, the beam's material properties, the beam's dimensions and geometry, and the boundary conditions at the supports.

4. How do you calculate the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, which takes into account the beam's length, material properties, applied load, and boundary conditions. Alternatively, numerical methods such as the finite element method can also be used to calculate the deflection.

5. What are some common applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams are commonly used in construction for structures such as bridges, balconies, and cantilever roofs. They are also used in mechanical and aerospace engineering for components such as cantilever springs, cantilever wings, and cantilever beams in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS).