Can't solve a problem about subspaces

• Thread starter sintec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, a subspace is a subset of a vector space that maintains the same operations and properties as the original vector space. To be considered a subspace, a set must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication. To determine if a set is a subspace, you can check if it satisfies these requirements. A subspace can be any geometric shape, as long as it satisfies the requirements. To solve problems involving subspaces, you can use the requirements and properties of subspaces, and also visualize the subspace to better understand the problem.
sintec
I can't solve a problem about subspaces. Help would be great!

U and V are subspaces in the vector space R^4[x] given with:

U={p(x)=a0+a1*x+a2*x^2+a3*x^3+a4*x^4; a1+a2+a3+a4=0, a1+a2+2a3+2a4=0, a0+a1=a3+a4}

V=L{x^3-x^2+x, x^4+1}

Find the dimensions and basis for U, U+V and U?V. Is the expresion 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4 an element of U+V or U?V?

Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's first look at the conditions:

(1) ... a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + a_4 = 0
(2) ... a_1 + a_2 + 2a_3 + 2a_4 = 0
(3) ... a_0 + a_1 = a_3 + a_4

We solve for a_1 in (1):

(4) ... a_1 = -(a_2 + a_3 + a_4)

And put that into (2):

a_1 + a_2 + 2a_3 + 2a_4 = 0
<=>
-(a_2 + a_3 + a_4) + a_2 + 2a_3 + 2a_4 = 0
<=>
-a_2 - a_3 - a_4 + a_2 + 2a_3 + 2a_4 = 0
<=>
a_3 + a_4 = 0
<=>
a_3 = -a_4

Now we put that back into (4):

a_1 = -(a_2 - a_4 + a_4)
<=>
a_1 = -a_2

Now, replace some stuff in (3):

a_0 + a_1 = a_3 + a_4
<=>
a_0 = a_3 + a_4 - a_1
<=>
a_0 = -a_4 + a_4 - (-a_2)
<=>
a_0 = a_2

So, we have that a_2 and a_4 can be chosen arbitrarily and that:

a_0 = a_2
a_1 = -a_2
a_3 = -a_4

The set U can then be rewritten as U = { a_2 - a_2 * x + a_2 * x^2 - a_4 * x^3 + a_4 * x^4 | a_2, a_4 in R }, or equivalently U = { a_2(1 - x + x^2) + a_4(-x^3 + x^4) | a_2, a_4 in R }. This suggests the basis (1 - x + x^2, -x^3 + x^4), and hence, dim U = 2. Hope I didn't go wrong in my calculations, I'm a bit new at this ;)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "U + V" or "U questionmark V"?

*edit* Messed up a single minus sign, tried to fix it, hope this didn't break anything. :P

Last edited:
Thanks Muzza, I think i got it now.

Another, and I think simpler way, to find a basis for
U={p(x)=a0+a1*x+a2*x^2+a3*x^3+a4*x^4; a1+a2+a3+a4=0, a1+a2+2a3+2a4=0, a0+a1=a3+a4} is to set up the equations in matrix form:

[ 1 1 0 -1 -1] (a0+ a1- a3- a4= 0)
[ 0 1 1 1 1] (a1+ a2+ a3+ a4= 0)
[ 0 1 1 2 2] (a1+ a2+2a3+2a4= 0)

and row reduce to
[1 0 -1 0 0]
[0 1 1 0 0]
[0 0 0 1 1]

which shows that we must have a0= a2, a1= -a2 and a3= -a4.

Notice that the 5 coefficients actually depend on 2 values: a2 and a4. That's reasonable, we had 3 equations connecting them so the "degrees of freedom" are reduced from 5 to 5-3= 2.

If we take a2= 1, a4= 0, a0= 1, a1= -1, a3= 0 and one basis vector is 1- x+ x<sup>2</sup>.
If we take a2= 0, a4= 1, a0= 0, a1= 0, a3= -1 so another basis vector is -x3+ x4.
A basis for U is {1- x+ x2,-x3 x4}.

For V=L{x^3-x^2+x, x^4+1}, if I interpret this correctly, this is the suspace generated by x3- x2+ x and x4+ 1. Since those two "vectors" are independent (they have different order so one is not a multiple of the other), they constitute a basis for V.
A basis for V is {x3- x2+ x,x4+ 1}.

If by "U+ V" you mean the direct sum of the two subspaces, then a basis for U+ V is "generated by" the union of bases for U and V separately. "Generated by" meaning that the union may not be independent so you have to drop any "redundant" vectors.

The way I would do that is set up the matrix
[1 -1 1 0 0] (1- x+ x2)
[0 0 0 -1 1] (- x3+ x4)
[0 1 -1 1 0] (-x2+ x3)
[1 0 0 0 1] (1+ x4)
and row-reduce to
[1 0 0 0 0]
[0 1 -1 0 0]
[0 0 0 1 -1]
[0 0 0 0 0]

That last "[0 0 0 0 0]" row tells us that the four vectors were not independent and so a basis for the direct sum of U and V is { 1, x- x2, x3- x4}.

I don't know what you mean by U?V. I guess you used a character that did not "translate" properly. The union of two suspaces is not, in general, a subspace. The intersection of two subspaces is a subspace. In this case, since the four vectors from the 2 separate bases are not independent, the intersection of the two subspaces is a one dimensional subspace so a basis will consist of a single vector. I'll leave it to you to find a vector that is in both U and V.

Thanks HallsofIvy!

What's the basis for this subspace?

V={p an element of R^4[x]; p'(1)=p(1)=0}

Well, p contained in R^4[x] can be written as
A+ Bx+ Cx^2+ Dx^3+ Ex^4 so p(1)= A+ B+ C+ D+ E.
p'(x)= B+ 2Cx+ 3Dx^2+ 4Ex^3 so p'(1)= B+ 2C+ 3D+ 4E

p(x)= 0 and p'(x)= 0 means that A+ B+ C+ D+ E= 0 and
B+ 2C+ 3D+ 4E= 0. R^4[x] has dimension 5. Since there are 2 conditions, this subspace has dimension 3 and so you need to find 3 vectors. Try this: Let A= 1, B= 0, C= 0 and solve for D and E, then let A= 0, B= 1, C= 0 and solve for D and E, finally, let A= 0, B= 0, C= 1 and solve for D and E. That gives you three independent vector and so a basis.

Related to Can't solve a problem about subspaces

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that maintains the same operations and properties as the original vector space. It can be thought of as a smaller space within a larger space.

2. What are the requirements for a set to be considered a subspace?

For a set to be considered a subspace, it must satisfy three requirements: it must contain the zero vector, it must be closed under vector addition, and it must be closed under scalar multiplication.

3. How do I know if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you can check if it satisfies the three requirements mentioned above. If it does, then it is a subspace. If it does not, then it is not a subspace.

4. Can a subspace be a line or a plane?

Yes, a subspace can be a line, a plane, or any other geometric shape as long as it satisfies the requirements of a subspace.

5. How do I solve a problem involving subspaces?

To solve a problem involving subspaces, you can use the three requirements to determine if a set is a subspace. You can also use properties of subspaces, such as the dimension and basis, to help solve the problem. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the subspace in order to better understand the problem.