Can't figure this radioactive thing out

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a problem involving petrified wood and C-14 activity. The student is missing some information and is unsure of how to approach the problem. The problem involves using the equation N=N0ek*t to determine the age of the tree.
xGessx
I can't figure this out , I've tried and tried but I was absent the day they explained this and I have no idea at all what decays/min is or any of that. I've solved 9 problems and I'm missing 4, and one of them is similar to this one that I will try to answer once you try explain this one to me.

Thank you very much!

Homework Statement

A 13.4756 g sample of petrified wood was found in a petrified forest. The sample showed a
C-14 activity of 11 decays/min.
How long has the tree been dead? The halflife of carbon-14 is 5730 years and freshly cut
wood contains 6.5 × 10^10 atoms/g of C-14 and there are 365.25 days in a year.
Answer in units of years.

Homework Equations

N=N0ek*t i think it's this? But I have no idea on how to use this

The Attempt at a Solution

I would try if I knew where to start lol

Physics news on Phys.org
What is N0? What is N? Do you see them in the question?

Related to Can't figure this radioactive thing out

1. How does radioactivity work?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of energy from an unstable atomic nucleus. This energy can take the form of alpha, beta, or gamma radiation. It occurs when an atom has an excess of either protons or neutrons in its nucleus, making it unstable and causing it to decay into a more stable state.

2. What are the dangers of exposure to radioactivity?

Exposure to high levels of radioactivity can be harmful to living organisms, as it can damage cells and DNA. This can lead to health problems such as radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic mutations. However, the amount of exposure and the type of radiation play a significant role in determining the level of danger.

3. How do we measure radioactivity?

The unit used to measure radioactivity is the becquerel (Bq), which represents one radioactive decay per second. Another commonly used unit is the curie (Ci), which represents the number of radioactive disintegrations per second. These measurements can be obtained using specialized equipment such as Geiger counters or scintillation detectors.

4. What are some common sources of radioactivity?

Natural sources of radioactivity include rocks and soil, cosmic rays from the sun and outer space, and radon gas. Man-made sources include nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical equipment such as X-ray machines and CT scanners. The level of radioactivity varies among these sources, with some being more harmful than others.

5. How can we protect ourselves from radioactivity?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from radioactivity. These include limiting exposure time, increasing distance from the source, and using shielding materials such as lead, concrete, or water. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with radioactive materials, and to properly dispose of any radioactive waste.