Canonical Form of Matrices: Understanding and Transforming

In summary: Can you please clarify?In scale matrices, there are zeros like scales, it is not upper triangular matrix. So I can create scale with minimum 0 zero in one row, and +1 in the others.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Matrix:
[tex]
\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\-1 & -2 & 5 \\
6 & 3 & -4 \\
-3 & 3 & -11 \end{array} \right|\]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How will this matrix transferred into canonical form? What is actually canonical form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. How does your textbook define "canonical form"? Look it up in the index.

I ask for two reasons. First, you need to learn to look things up for yourself. Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "canonical" form. I know "Jordan canonical form" (also called "Jordan Normal form"), "rational canonical form", and "Frobenius canonical form". It's perfectly correct to use "canonical form" as long as you are talking about just one of those but I don't know which.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my book, says, turn that matrix with row transformations.
For example.
[tex]R_2\rightarrow 3*R_1+R_3[/tex]
So I'll get:
[tex]
\-1 & -2 & 5 \\
6 & 0 & 0 \\
-3 & 3 & -11 \end{array} \right|\]
[/tex]

Turn it into what? Triangular form? Row Echelon?

HallsofIvy said:
Turn it into what? Triangular form? Row Echelon?

Turn into canonical scale matrix. Like
[tex]
\ 1 & -2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right|\]
[/tex]

Do u know some other method of turning?

I know how to do many different things by "row operations". I was trying to get you to tell what kind of "canonical" matrix you were talking about! It appears that you mean what I would call an "upper triangular matrix". Unfortunately, an example is not a definition (I've lost track of how many times I have told students that). In particular, you example has two 0s on the diagonal which is not, in general, possible. An "upper triangular matrix is a matrix that has only 0s below the main diagonal, but can have anything on or above it. But I don't see how
will accomplish that or what it is intended to accomplish. Could you please give me your definition of "canonical (scale) matrix" as I asked initially?

Physicsissuef said:
While that is a row operation, it's not an elementary row operation, nor is it the product of such operations.

Physicsissuef said:

Hurkyl said:
While that is a row operation, it's not an elementary row operation, nor is it the product of such operations.

Oh, you're right. I didn't even notice the change in index.

In scale matrices, there are zeros like scales, it is not upper triangular matrix. So I can create scale with minimum 0 zero in one row, and +1 in the others.

Related to Canonical Form of Matrices: Understanding and Transforming

1. What is the canonical form of a matrix?

The canonical form of a matrix is a simplified representation of the matrix that allows for easier computation and identification of important properties. It is usually in a diagonal or triangular form.

2. What is the purpose of finding the canonical form of a matrix?

The canonical form helps in solving linear systems of equations, calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and understanding the behavior of a matrix under certain operations such as matrix multiplication and inversion.

3. How is the canonical form of a matrix calculated?

The process of finding the canonical form of a matrix involves applying elementary row or column operations, such as row or column swapping, scaling, and addition, to transform the matrix into a simpler form.

4. Are there different types of canonical forms for matrices?

Yes, there are different types of canonical forms for matrices such as row echelon form, reduced row echelon form, diagonal form, and Jordan canonical form. The type of canonical form used depends on the specific properties or operations being studied.

5. What are some applications of the canonical form of matrices in scientific research?

The canonical form of matrices is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science for solving systems of linear equations, analyzing data and patterns, and studying the behavior of systems. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of data and identify important features.