Cannot understand lan cable type

• Thread starter asad1111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Type
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a yellow LAN cable to connect a PC and router, which is typically used for straight wire connections. However, the speaker was able to successfully connect two laptops using this cable without a switch or router. This is possible because newer devices can automatically detect the type of cable needed and adjust accordingly. The speaker also mentions not understanding the concept of MDI, or Medium Dependent Interface.
asad1111
i have dsl connection in my home the wire that is used to connect my pc with router is yellow colouerd lan cable now i have learned that straight wire lan cable is used to connect a router and pc but i connected two laptops using this cable without any switch and router and it workedBUT HOW? two laptops can only be connected directly using crossover lan cable now i don't understand this please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
thanks i didn't have the slightest clue about MDI

Related to Cannot understand lan cable type

1. What is a LAN cable and why is it important?

A LAN (Local Area Network) cable is a type of networking cable used to connect devices within a local network. It is important because it allows for the transfer of data and communication between devices, enabling internet access and sharing of resources within the network.

2. How do I know which type of LAN cable to use?

The type of LAN cable to use depends on the network speed and the devices being connected. The most common types are Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat7. Cat5 and Cat5e support speeds up to 100Mbps and 1Gbps respectively, while Cat6 and Cat7 can support speeds up to 10Gbps. Consult the device specifications and network requirements to determine the appropriate cable type.

3. Can I use any type of LAN cable for my home network?

For a basic home network, Cat5 or Cat5e cables are usually sufficient. However, if you have high-speed internet or plan to transfer large files within the network, it may be beneficial to use Cat6 or Cat7 cables for faster speeds.

4. What does it mean if my device cannot understand the LAN cable type?

This could mean that the device is not compatible with the type of LAN cable being used. Check the device specifications and ensure that it supports the cable type. It could also indicate a faulty cable or connection, so try using a different cable or checking the connection.

5. Can I mix different types of LAN cables in my network?

It is not recommended to mix different types of LAN cables in a network as it can cause compatibility issues and affect network performance. It is best to use the same type of cable for all connections within the network.