Candidates for baryonic dark matter

In summary, the conversation is about baryonic dark matter in clusters of galaxies and galaxy halos. WIMPS (weakly interacting massive particles) and MACHOs (massive astrophysical compact halo objects) are ruled out based on CMB observations. The conversation also mentions ordinary baryonic dark matter models and hidden sector baryonic dark matter models.
Hi,
I hope someone can help me, my question is
What are the principal candidates for baryonic dark matter in clusters of galaxies
and in galaxy halos, are they different?
I just need a list for halos and clusters as it might make it simipler for me to understand

thanks in advance

Space news on Phys.org
Baryonic dark matter? Er, that's ruled out quite conclusively by CMB observations, as baryonic dark matter's effects couldn't have been apparent then.

Does that mean that WIMPS are not the principal baryonic dark matter in clusters of galaxies and MACHOs in galaxy halos?

WIMPS weakly interacting massive particles are none baryonic :smile:

Edit

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/Cosmos/MoreMeetsEye.html

Last edited:
Many thanks to each of you.

Related to Candidates for baryonic dark matter

1. What is baryonic dark matter?

Baryonic dark matter refers to a type of dark matter made up of normal matter particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, which are not visible and do not emit light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is baryonic dark matter different from regular matter?

Baryonic dark matter is different from regular matter in that it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible. It also accounts for a much larger portion of the universe's mass compared to regular matter.

3. What evidence supports the existence of baryonic dark matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the existence of baryonic dark matter, including the rotation curves of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the cosmic microwave background. Additionally, simulations of the universe's evolution also suggest the presence of baryonic dark matter.

4. How do scientists search for candidates for baryonic dark matter?

Scientists search for candidates for baryonic dark matter through a variety of methods, including direct detection experiments, indirect detection through the observation of high-energy particles, and simulations of the early universe. They also study the properties of known particles to determine if they could potentially make up baryonic dark matter.

5. What are some potential candidates for baryonic dark matter?

Some potential candidates for baryonic dark matter include weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), axions, and primordial black holes. However, the exact nature of baryonic dark matter is still unknown and continues to be a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.