Canadian government tries to make energy conservation hip

In summary: Save the trees and your energy, not just your ass!In summary, the Canadian government tries to make energy conservation "hip" by using a F-off campaign. However, the campaign is poorly thought out and is likely to have little effect on the way Canada's youth views energy conservation.
moe darklight
Canadian government tries to make energy conservation "hip"

http://www.flickoff.org/

get it?? FLICK OFF! as in flick off the lights and save energy!
but omg! it looks just like F**K OFF... NOT! I'm so amused!...

TO THE X-TREEEME!
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/04/26/flick-off-campaign.html

O HELLZZZ YEA! THAT'S OUR SUPER RAD ENVIRONMENT MINISTER!

to-broten-flick.jpg

more like X-vironmentalism!

now fighting gLobal warming is finally cool! all my friends are throwing their broken bongs in tHe recycling bins from now on for sure!... give me a break :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: :smile: :smile:

"We only have 10 years to dramatically reduce our emissions or we're screwed."

So FLICK OFF, eh!

:smile: Someone should have given a little more thought to that camera angle (or maybe they did, and opted for humor). :smile:

I just got this in my email:
Baird unveils emissions plan, says Kyoto goal to be reached 8 years late

The federal government released the specific details of its much-anticipated emissions plan Thursday, requiring most of Canada's industries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 18 per cent in three years.

The new plan means Canada will be at least eight years behind meeting its requirements under the international Kyoto Protocol.

Canada will reach Kyoto's emissions targets only between 2020 and 2025, instead of 2012 as laid out in the international plan to reduce the impact of humans on the planet.

Environment Minister John Baird acknowledged that his government's plan will deliver on Kyoto late, but he said it promises what is realistic.

"This is a real plan, a plan we can reach," he told reporters at a news conference in downtown Toronto Thursday.

"I'm not ready to make promises I can't fulfill."
/\ I guess that's a shot at the Liberal party at the end there...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/04/26/emissions-targets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
:smile: Someone should have given a little more thought to that camera angle (or maybe they did, and opted for humor). :smile:

my first impression was "this is it, the day has finally come when the government has an official slogan for what's been their message all along: F**K OFF."

Not the mention the alternate message of the symbol used for "O."

:smile: Nice!

"We only have 10 years to dramatically reduce our emissions or we're screwed."

:smile: I thought he was joking when he said that! :smile:

:smile: I know, this campaign is just so poorly thought out on so many levels... I wake up to see some government officials on tv in front of a giant F-off banner I thought I was in the twilight zone...

they even have a "go flick yourself" section on the website... ugh, they needs to learn that politicians trying to be "cool" have about as much street cred as a faith-based punk band doing an old navy ad.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/13925/2003685903446776645_rs.jpg

... ok I was bored

moe darklight said:
:smile: I know, this campaign is just so poorly thought out on so many levels... I wake up to see some government officials on tv in front of a giant F-off banner I thought I was in the twilight zone...

they even have a "go flick yourself" section on the website... ugh, they needs to learn that politicians trying to be "cool" have about as much street cred as a faith-based punk band doing an old navy ad.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/13925/2003685903446776645_rs.jpg

... ok I was bored

You're expecting a comment from me, aren't you?

I don't know what to say. The fear mongering almost makes me sick... I mean its a good idea to promote some degree of energy conservation, but this goes a bit over the line. I think that the probability of this campaign having any effect on the way Canada's youth views energy conservation is pretty flicking low, even with the rampant fear mongering.

correction:

The FLICK campaign was started by British National billionaire and founder of Virgin Records, Virgin Airlines and Virgin Toilet Seat Liners, (edit:Sir)Richard Branson. It isn't a Canadian idea. It is Branson's Hyper-Publicity-Marketing ploy that has a contest to award the most energy conserving town in Canada with a free concert by a big name band (proabably British).

correction:

The announcement by the Conservative Government of Canada concerning raising prices on washing machines, gas (of course) electricity etc... to the tune of 8 billion dollars a year to offset global warming (what a load of complete and utter bs scamming) will put reaching the Kyoto Agreement protocol off by 13 years. No mention of solutions for over-fishing, fish farm infestations of sea lice, clear cuts and land erosion, pine beetle infestation, drinking water contamination by effluent laced with dioxin (fire retardants), anti-biotic soaps, untreated sewage and a rising number of aggresively-marketed anti-depressants such as Prozac.

Get real you damn humans!

Last edited:
I didn't know about that... I should have figured someone had to be profiting from such a lame idea.. the liberal party sure isn't.

Chi Meson said:
You're expecting a comment from me, aren't you?

it worked didn't it :smile:

if they can put hendrix and einstein in a pepsi commercial, anything's possible.

moe darklight said:
I didn't know about that... I should have figured someone had to be profiting from such a lame idea.. the liberal party sure isn't.

yeah, he's telling Canada to get FLICKED and win a big concert in one of its little towns if they can run everything on their own methane, solar panels, dehabilitating flourescent lighting and other "energy savers".

Personally, I'd rather MAKE energy than SAVE it. And we do have the (environmentally friendly) technology to do it.

Branson's FLICKing thing is just like him. He's always using sexist marketing campaigns and he's always got to be photographed with these cheesy girls in plastic suits... everyone smiling. I mean, don't get me wrong, I find women fascinating too, but relentlessly using them as props in every commercial starts to give ol Benny Hill Branson away slightly.

Related to Canadian government tries to make energy conservation hip

What is the Canadian government doing to promote energy conservation?

The Canadian government has implemented various policies and programs to promote energy conservation in recent years. This includes providing incentives for individuals and businesses to adopt energy-efficient practices and technologies, investing in renewable energy sources, and setting targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Why is the Canadian government trying to make energy conservation "hip"?

The Canadian government recognizes that traditional methods of promoting energy conservation, such as simply emphasizing the environmental benefits, may not be effective in reaching a wider audience. By making energy conservation "hip" and appealing to younger generations, the government hopes to engage more people in the effort to reduce energy consumption and combat climate change.

How can individuals contribute to energy conservation in Canada?

Individuals can contribute to energy conservation in Canada in many ways, such as using energy-efficient appliances and vehicles, reducing energy consumption at home and in the workplace, and supporting renewable energy initiatives. Additionally, making small changes in daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, can also make a significant impact.

What challenges does the Canadian government face in promoting energy conservation?

One of the main challenges facing the Canadian government in promoting energy conservation is changing public attitudes and behaviors. Many people are resistant to change and may not see the immediate benefits of energy conservation. Additionally, the government must also balance the need for energy conservation with the country's economic growth and development.

How does energy conservation benefit Canada?

Energy conservation benefits Canada in many ways. It helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change, which is crucial for the country's natural landscapes and resources. It also helps to decrease dependence on fossil fuels, which can be costly and unsustainable. Additionally, energy conservation can create new job opportunities and stimulate the economy through the development of renewable energy sources and technologies.