Can *YOU* understand this functional analysis proof?

In summary, my professor tried to show the following in lecture the other day: If T is a linear operator on a Hilbert space and (Tz,z) is real for every z in H, then T is bounded and self-adjoint. However, this is also supposed to be equal to (x,Ty) = \overline{(Ty,x)}, so I'm still clueless as to where to go from here.
AxiomOfChoice
My professor tried to show the following in lecture the other day: If T is a linear operator on a Hilbert space and (Tz,z) is real for every z in H, then T is bounded and self-adjoint.

Below, I use (*,*) to indicate the Hilbert space inner product.

He told us to use the identity (which I've worked out and verified)

[tex]
(Tx,y) = (1/4)[(Tx+Ty,x+y) - (Tx-Ty,x-y) + i(Tx+iTy,x+iy) - i(Tx-iTy,x-iy)].
[/tex]

But this is also supposed to be equal to

[tex]
(x,Ty) = \overline{(Ty,x)}.
[/tex]

Of course, this would complete the proof, since then we'd have (x,Ty) = (Tx,y).

I'm not sure how to show this. Our professor told us to "polarize" - i.e., to use the polarization identity - but I can't figure it out. The identity he gave us looks kind of like the polarization identity, but they're clearly different.

Also, we're supposed to use (Tx,x) and (Ty,y) are real for all x,y in H. But the identity above holds regardless of whether this is true! So I guess we're just supposed to use "(Tx,x) and (Ty,y) are real" when we show that identity also equals (x,Ty).

Does anyone see what to do? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: Looking through one of my textbooks (Stein-Shakarchi's Real Analysis), I see that the identity I listed (the one with 1/4's and i's and such) is actually referred to as a polarization identity.

I'm still clueless as to where to go from here though :(

If (Tz,z) is real for any z in H, the four inner products in the identity are all real.

Write down the values of (Tx,y) and (Ty,x) using the identity and compare them term by term.

Hi AxiomOfChoice! :smile:

In that (Tx,y) formula, swap x with y to get (Ty,x), then take the conjugate. :wink:

Yep! That did it! Thanks, guys! Don't know why I didn't think of that...oh yeah! I'm an idiot! :biggrin:

Related to Can *YOU* understand this functional analysis proof?

1. Can you explain what functional analysis is?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and functions. It involves the use of abstract mathematical structures and techniques to analyze and understand the behavior of functions and operators.

2. How does functional analysis relate to other branches of mathematics?

Functional analysis has applications in many other areas of mathematics, including differential equations, partial differential equations, and harmonic analysis. It also has connections to physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What are some common techniques used in functional analysis proofs?

Some common techniques used in functional analysis proofs include the use of Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and the Hahn-Banach theorem. Other techniques may include the use of spectral theory, operator algebras, and the Baire category theorem.

4. Is functional analysis a difficult subject to understand?

Functional analysis can be a challenging subject to understand, as it involves abstract concepts and techniques. However, with proper study and practice, it can be comprehended by anyone with a strong foundation in mathematics.

5. What are some real-world applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has many applications in real-world problems, such as signal processing, control theory, and optimization. It is also used in the development of algorithms and software for various scientific and engineering applications.