Can you tell me what string theory textbook are you reading,everybody?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of string theory, specifically the book "A First Course in String Theory" by Zwiebach. The participants discussed the book's content and its availability at different prices. It was mentioned that the book is recommended for well-prepared undergraduates or beginning graduate students, assuming a strong understanding of relativity and non-relativistic quantum mechanics. It was also noted that the book primarily focuses on bosonic strings and only briefly touches on superstrings and brane theory. Overall, it was agreed that Zwiebach is a valuable resource for those looking to self-teach string theory.
RiverRich
Just for survey.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am reading Zweibach

I think he meant Zwiebach's "First Course in String Theory".

Daniel.

Yea,I see."A First Course in String Theory".
How much did you buy it? I found it at least $40 on froogle .

I've also just purchased Zwiebach. I found it at a local large bookstore/cd place (Fnack) for a good price, which surprised me a little. Not that I'm complaining though.

My promotor gave me Superstring Theory by Green, Schwarz & Witten to start with, but I found it a bit...um...heavy. Zwiebach is a breeze my comparison. I'm actually the one who tipped to prof about it, he didn't consider it before I mentioned it. While attending a conference, he talked about it with a few colleagues, and the consensus was that Zwiebach is the most pedagogical. Plus, he found out that he was referenced in it :biggrin:

Zwiebach is aimed at well-prepared undergraduates or, I would guess, beginning graduate students. He assumes you are cool with (and I do mean cool with) relativity and non-relativistic quantum mechanics. If you have any serious hangups with the mathematical representation of either of these, it will impede your understanding of Zwiebach and slow down your pace until you rectify that.

And then he only does bosonic strings in any detail, and has just overviews of special topics in superstrings and brane theory. If you want more than that you just about have to go on to GSW (both volumes) or Polchinski (ditto).

Given all that, Zwiebach is an excellent book for self-teaching.

Related to Can you tell me what string theory textbook are you reading,everybody?

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics by proposing that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. What is the importance of string theory in physics?

String theory is important because it offers a potential solution to the long-standing problem of combining general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also has the potential to provide a unified explanation for the four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

3. What textbook are you reading on string theory?

I am currently reading "String Theory: Volume 1, An Introduction to the Bosonic String" by Joseph Polchinski. This is a commonly used textbook for introductory courses on string theory.

4. Is string theory a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a highly debated and unproven theory. While it has shown promise in solving some problems in physics, it has yet to be experimentally verified.

5. Can you explain the concept of extra dimensions in string theory?

In string theory, it is proposed that there are more than the usual three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. These extra dimensions are thought to be curled up and compactified, making them undetectable at our current level of technology. This allows for the possibility of multiple universes existing in these extra dimensions.