Can You Switch Columns in a Matrix While Finding Its Null-Space?

In summary, column reordering in matrices is a method used to change the order of columns in a matrix, which can help in organizing and analyzing data more efficiently. It is different from row reordering and can affect the values in the matrix. Some applications of column reordering include data analysis, machine learning, and mathematical operations. There are different methods and algorithms for column reordering, such as LU decomposition and the greedy algorithm. The choice of method may vary depending on the task and desired outcome.
famallama

Homework Statement

The actual problem is
Find a basis for the null-space of the matrix
(1 0 1 2 1)
(0 1 2 0 1)
(0 1 -1 3 1)

Homework Equations

there are no relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to get the matrix into RREF i got
(1 0 3 0 1)
(0 1 2 0 1)
(0 0 -1 1 0)
Each row consisting of a different variable x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, respectively, I do not see an issue with using x4 as a pivot and using x3 as an open variable. Am i totally wrong in my assumption that the only thing that dictates where the variables are in the matrix are in fact their position in the original equation? so I switch the third and fourth column still calling them the same variable? Isn't this like if i were to have an equation x=2y+5g+j is the exact same equation as x=5g+j+2y? I ended up with the answer of
(-s-3t) (-3) (-1)
(-s-2t) (-2) (-1)
x=( t )=t(1 )+s(0 )
( t ) (1 ) (0 )
( s ) (0 ) (1 )
I stopped here because i didn't study right, but i got a 0 on it because i considered my RREF to be correct. Basically my biggest question is why am in not aloud to switch the columns in a matrix? I am aloud to switch the rows around if i please, but not being able to do the columns as well does not seem right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand that the operations you perform on a matrix must follow certain rules in order to maintain the integrity of the problem. In this case, you are trying to find a basis for the null-space of the matrix, which means finding a set of vectors that satisfy the equation Ax=0, where A is your given matrix.

When performing row operations on a matrix, you are essentially changing the equations that the matrix represents. However, when you switch columns in a matrix, you are essentially changing the variables that are being represented in the equations. This can lead to a different set of solutions and may not give you the correct basis for the null-space.

In your example, switching the third and fourth columns may have given you a different set of solutions, but it may not be the correct basis for the null-space. It is important to follow the established rules for matrix operations in order to arrive at the correct solution.

In summary, as a scientist, it is important to be precise and follow established rules when solving problems, especially in mathematics. Switching columns in a matrix may lead to a different set of solutions and may not give you the correct result. It is important to understand the implications of the operations you perform on a matrix and how they affect the problem at hand.

Related to Can You Switch Columns in a Matrix While Finding Its Null-Space?

1. What is the purpose of column reordering in matrices?

Column reordering in matrices is used to change the order of the columns in a matrix. This can be helpful in organizing and analyzing data in a more efficient way.

2. How is column reordering different from row reordering in matrices?

Column reordering involves changing the order of the columns in a matrix, while row reordering involves changing the order of the rows. This can have different effects on the data and may be used for different purposes.

3. Can column reordering affect the values in a matrix?

Yes, column reordering can affect the values in a matrix. When columns are rearranged, the values in each row may be affected and may change their positions in the matrix.

4. What are some applications of column reordering in matrices?

Column reordering can be used in data analysis, machine learning, and various mathematical operations. It can also be helpful in organizing and visualizing data in a more meaningful way.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for column reordering in matrices?

Yes, there are various methods and algorithms for column reordering in matrices, such as the LU decomposition method and the greedy algorithm. The choice of method may depend on the specific task and the desired outcome.