Can you stop someone from following you

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
In summary, there is no way to remove someone from your followers list or to approve of members following you. The purpose of following someone is to easily find their content and there are no alerts for when a member you are following posts something.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is there any way you can eliminate someone from your 'followers' list? Apparently setting the 'ignore' option for that user won't work.

And 1 more thing: if a member is (username/IP) banned, how can you tell? In vbulletin there was a way to tell that.

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
Is there any way you can eliminate someone from your 'followers' list? Apparently setting the 'ignore' option for that user won't work.
Just unfollow them here
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/following

No, Greg, it's the other way around. He's following me. He appears in my "followers" list and I want that user out. :D

dextercioby said:
And 1 more thing: if a member is (username/IP) banned, how can you tell? In vbulletin there was a way to tell that.

Their username has a strikeout

dextercioby said:
No, Greg, it's the other way around. He's following me. He appears in my "followers" list and I want that user out. :D

Members following you won't be listed in the link I provided. Where are you seeing this list? A different question is what difference does it make to you if someone follows you? :)

I think I understand. There is no method of removing a follower. What is the point?

Greg Bernhardt said:
[...]
Members following you won't be listed in the link I provided. Where are you seeing this list? [...]

Here:
Capture.JPG
Greg Bernhardt said:
[...]A different question is what difference does it make to you if someone follows you? :)

I want to somehow approve of users following me, if it's not too much to ask. :)

dextercioby said:
I want to somehow approve of users following me, if it's not too much to ask.
There is no function for this. What does it matter who follows you? All that happens is your username is highlighted in the online list and your posts are listed in their News Feed.

I thought it was meant to replicate social media (if someone 'friends' you on FB you can ignore his/her request), but it's not. So ok, I'll drop it.
Thanks.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dextercioby said:
I thought it was meant to replicate social media (if someone 'friends' you on FB you can ignore his/her request), but it's not. So ok, I'll drop it.
Thanks.
It's just a way of communicating "hey, I find your posts interesting and I'd like a little bit easier way of finding your content" :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's just a way of communicating "hey, I find your posts interesting and I'd like a little bit easier way of finding your content" :)
Do we actually get alerts when the members we are following post something ?

No alert, but an entry shows up in the "Your news feed" section linked from "My PF" at the top of the page.

Monsterboy said:
Do we actually get alerts when the members we are following post something ?
No, as Nug said, but the member will receive an alert that you are following them

Related to Can you stop someone from following you

1. Can you stop someone from following you?

Yes, there are a few ways to stop someone from following you. You can ask them to stop, change your route or location, seek help from authorities, or take legal action.

2. What do I do if someone is following me?

If you feel like someone is following you, it is important to trust your instincts and be aware of your surroundings. You can try to lose them by changing your route, seeking help from others, or calling the police.

3. How do I know if someone is following me?

There are a few signs that someone may be following you, such as seeing someone constantly behind you, repeated appearances in different locations, or feeling like you are being watched. Trust your instincts and try to assess the situation.

4. What if the person following me is a stranger?

If the person following you is a stranger, it is important to stay cautious and not engage with them. Do not give out personal information and try to leave the area or seek help from others.

5. Can I get a restraining order to stop someone from following me?

Yes, if you feel like you are in danger, you can seek a restraining order to legally prevent someone from following you. It is important to document any evidence and seek legal advice for the best course of action.