Can You Solve This Complex Trigonometric Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \[ I(a,b)=\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{1}{(a\cdot\cos^2{x}+b\cdot\sin^2{x})^2}dx \quad a,b>0 \] through different approaches. The first approach involves calculating \[I(\lambda) = \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(a-\lambda)+(b-\lambda)t^2}\;{dt}\] and then using the derivative \[I(a,b) = I'(\lambda)|_{\lambda = 0}\] to solve for the integral. The second approach involves setting \[J
sbhatnagar
Can you solve the Integral?

\[ I(a,b)=\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{1}{(a\cdot\cos^2{x}+b\cdot\sin^2{x})^2}dx \quad a,b>0 \]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elementary, my dear Sbhatnagar. Let's first calculate:$$\displaystyle \begin{aligned} I( \lambda) & = \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\frac{1}{a~\cos^2{x}+b~\sin^2{x}-\lambda}\;{dx} \\& = \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\frac{1}{(a-\lambda)\cos^2{x}+(b-\lambda)\sin^2{x}}\;{dx} \\& = \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\frac{\sec^2{x}}{(a-\lambda)+(b-\lambda)\tan^2{x}}\;{dt} \\& = \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(a-\lambda)+(b-\lambda)t^2}\;{dt} \\& = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a-\lambda}\sqrt{b-\lambda}}\bigg(\frac{\sqrt{b-\lambda}}{\sqrt{a-\lambda}}t\bigg)_{0}^{\infty}\\& = \frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{a-\lambda}\sqrt{b-\lambda}}.\end{aligned} $$

But $\displaystyle I(a, b) = I'(\lambda)|_{\lambda = 0} = \frac{(a+b-2\lambda)\pi}{4(a-\lambda)^{\frac{3}{2}}((b-\lambda)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\bigg|_{\lambda = 0} = \frac{(a+b)\pi}{4a^{\frac{2}{3}}b^{\frac{2}{3}}}.$

Nice! I also solved the problem by a similar approach.

Let \( \displaystyle J=\int_{0}^{\pi / 2} \frac{1}{a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x}}dx \)

\[ \begin{align*} J &= \int_{0}^{\pi / 2} \frac{1}{a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x}}dx \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a+bx^2}dx \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{ab}} \tan^{-1}{\left(\frac{x\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}} \right)}\Big|_0^{\infty}\\ &= \frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{ab}}\end{align*} \]

Now,

\( \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{dJ}{da}&=-\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{\cos^2(x)}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2} dx\\ \frac{\pi}{4\sqrt{a^3 b}} &= \int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{\cos^2(x)}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2} dx \quad [1]\end{align*} \)

also

\( \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{dJ}{db}&=-\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{\sin^2(x)}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2} dx\\ \frac{\pi}{4\sqrt{a b^3}} &= \int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{\sin^2(x)}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2} dx \quad [2]\end{align*} \)

Adding [1] and [2]:

\( \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2} dx &= \frac{\pi}{4\sqrt{a^3 b}}+\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{b^3 a}} \\ \int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{1}{(a\cos^2{x}+b\sin^2{x})^2}dx &= \frac{\pi}{4\sqrt{ab}}\left( \frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\right) \\ I(a,b) &= \frac{\pi}{4\sqrt{ab}}\left( \frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\right)\end{align*}\)

Magic differentiation for the win! (Smile)

Yes, I can solve this integral. First, we can rewrite the integral as:

\[ I(a,b)=\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{1}{(a+b)\cdot\cos^2{x}+(a-b)\cdot\sin^2{x})^2}dx \]

Next, we can use the trigonometric identity $\cos^2{x}+\sin^2{x}=1$ to simplify the denominator:

\[ I(a,b)=\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\frac{1}{(a+b)+(a-b)\cdot\sin^2{x})^2}dx \]

Now, we can use the substitution $u=\sin{x}$ to transform the integral into a form that can be solved using partial fractions:

\[ I(a,b)=\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{(a+b)+(a-b)u^2)^2}du \]

Using partial fractions, we can rewrite the integrand as:

\[ \frac{1}{(a+b)+(a-b)u^2)^2}=\frac{1}{4ab}\left(\frac{1}{a+b+(a-b)u}+\frac{1}{a+b-(a-b)u}\right)-\frac{1}{4ab(a+b)^2} \]

Substituting this back into the integral and solving, we get:

\[ I(a,b)=\frac{1}{4ab}\left[\frac{\arctan{\left(\frac{a+b+(a-b)}{2\sqrt{ab}}\right)}-\arctan{\left(\frac{a+b-(a-b)}{2\sqrt{ab}}\right)}}{\sqrt{a+b}}\right]_{0}^{1}-\frac{1}{4ab(a+b)^2} \]

Simplifying, we get:

\[ I(a,b)=\frac{\pi}{8ab\sqrt{a+b}}-\frac{1}{4ab(a+b)^2} \]

Therefore, the solution to the integral is:

\[ I(a,b)=\frac{\pi}{8ab\sqrt{a+b}}-\frac{1}{4ab(a+b)^2} \]

Related to Can You Solve This Complex Trigonometric Integral?

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval. In simpler terms, it is a way to calculate the accumulation of a quantity over a certain range.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. First, you need to identify the limits of integration and rewrite the function in terms of the variable of integration. Then, apply the appropriate method to integrate the function and find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative using the limits of integration to find the numerical value of the integral.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral gives a numerical value, whereas an indefinite integral gives a function with a constant of integration. In other words, a definite integral is a number, whereas an indefinite integral is a family of functions.

4. Why is it important to solve integrals?

Solving integrals is essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the total value of a function, which can represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Integrals also have many applications in areas such as optimization, probability, and statistics.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and using incorrect substitution or integration techniques. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and to correctly evaluate the antiderivative using these limits. Additionally, it is crucial to check the final answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.