Can you simplify this surd expression without a calculator?

In summary, the expression can be simplified to 1 without the use of a calculator by creating a general formula for powers of \sqrt{2} \pm 1 and then using that formula to find the 5th and 7th roots of 29\sqrt{2}-41 and 169\sqrt{2}+239, respectively. By doing so, we can easily see that the two terms cancel out, leaving us with a simplified expression of 1.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Without the use of a calculator, and showing your work, simplify:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\left(239+169\sqrt{2}\right)^{ \frac{1}{7}}-\left(29\sqrt{2}-41\right)^{ \frac{1}{5}}\right)\)

edit: My apologies...I was careless in my first statement of the problem...(Nod)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, MarkFL!

Without the use of a calculator, and showing your work, simplify:

. . [tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\left(\left(239+169\sqrt{2}\right)^{ \frac{1}{7}}-\left(29\sqrt{2}-41\right)^{\frac{1}{5}}\right)[/tex]

We find that: .[tex]239 + 169\sqrt{2} \:=\: (1+\sqrt{2})^7[/tex]

. . .and that: .. [tex]29\sqrt{2} - 41 \:=\: (\sqrt{2} - 1)^5[/tex]

So we have: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\left(\left[(1+\sqrt{2})^7\right]^{\frac{1}{7}} - \left[(\sqrt{2}-1)^5\right]^{\frac{1}{5}}\right)[/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{2}\bigg(\left[1 + \sqrt{2}\right] - \left[\sqrt{2}-1\right]\bigg)[/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{2}\big(1 + \sqrt{2} - \sqrt{2} + 1\big)[/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{2}(2)[/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;1[/tex]

@Soroban. You are the master of coming up with solutions that seem to come out of the blue. How the heck did you get the first two lines of your solution?

-Dan

topsquark said:
@Soroban. You are the master of coming up with solutions that seem to come out of the blue. How the heck did you get the first two lines of your solution?

-Dan

My thoughts exactly. I was sitting there, thinking, "okay". You must teach me! (Rofl)

(239+169√2)^1/7

the root can be of the form (a+b √2) and expanding and equating the rational parts of both sides and irrational parts of both sides we get 2 equations in a and b
then solving them we get a = b = 1

I know these are polynomials of degree 7 and 6 and solving is not simple so assuming a and b as integers
we can put the values on both sides and get a and b.

simlilarly for we can find 5th root of 2nd expression

This is the observation I made before constructing this problem:

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^0=0\cdot\sqrt{2}+1\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^1=1\cdot\sqrt{2}+1\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^2=2\cdot\sqrt{2}+3\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^3=5\cdot\sqrt{2}+7\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^4=12\cdot\sqrt{2}+17\)

Now, we may generalize to say:

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^n=U_n\sqrt{2}+V_n\)

We may further generalize and write:

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{2}-1 \right)^n=(-1)^{n-1}\left(U_n\sqrt{2}-V_n \right)\)

The parameters may be defined recursively as:

\(\displaystyle U_{n+1}=2U_{n}+U_{n-1}\) where \(\displaystyle U_0=0,\,U_1=1\)

\(\displaystyle V_{n+1}=2V_{n}+V_{n-1}\) where \(\displaystyle V_0=1,\,V_1=1\)

We then find:

\(\displaystyle U_5=29,\,U_7=169\)

\(\displaystyle V_5=41,\,V_7=239\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle 29\sqrt{2}-41=(-1)^4\left(\sqrt{2}-1 \right)^5\,\therefore\,\left(29\sqrt{2}-41 \right)^{\frac{1}{5}}=\sqrt{2}-1\)

\(\displaystyle 169\sqrt{2}+239=\left(\sqrt{2}+1 \right)^7\,\therefore\,\left(169\sqrt{2}+239 \right)^{\frac{1}{7}}=\sqrt{2}+1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\left(169\sqrt{2}+239 \right)^{\frac{1}{7}}-\left(29\sqrt{2}-41 \right)^{\frac{1}{5}} \right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{2}+1-\sqrt{2}+1 \right)=\frac{1}{2}\cdot2=1\)

Related to Can you simplify this surd expression without a calculator?

1. What is a surd?

A surd is an irrational number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places.

2. How do you simplify a surd?

To simplify a surd, you need to factor out the largest perfect square possible from the number under the root sign. Then, you can rewrite the number as the product of the square root of the perfect square and the remaining number under the root sign.

3. What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that is the result of multiplying a number by itself. For example, 25 is a perfect square because it is the result of multiplying 5 by itself (5 x 5 = 25).

4. Can you simplify surds with different radicals?

No, surds with different radicals cannot be simplified. For example, you cannot simplify √2 and √3 together because they have different radicals.

5. Why is it important to simplify surds?

Simplifying surds makes them easier to work with and understand in mathematical equations. It also helps to identify common factors and can lead to finding solutions for equations involving surds.