Can you please teach me the properties of absolute values

In summary, an absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance between a number and zero on a number line. To find the absolute value of a number, you simply remove the negative sign (if there is one) and leave the number unchanged. The properties of absolute values include that the absolute value of a positive number is the same as the original number, the absolute value of a negative number is the opposite of the original number, the absolute value of zero is zero, the absolute value of a sum is equal to the sum of the absolute values, and the absolute value of a product is equal to the product of the absolute values. Absolute values are used in a variety of real life situations, such as calculating distances, determining the magnitude
eljota38
I am new in the field of science please can you help me. I would I appreciate it. I am not that knowledgeable.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thanks , and sorry for the question I now it is very basic stuff. :P I do know it

Please read this: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I would be happy to help! Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always positive, regardless of whether the original number is positive or negative. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5, and the absolute value of 5 is also 5.

In science, absolute value is often used to represent physical quantities such as distance, speed, and temperature. It can also be used to represent the magnitude of a vector, which is a quantity with both magnitude and direction.

One important property of absolute value is that it is always greater than or equal to 0. Another property is that the absolute value of a product is equal to the product of the absolute values of the individual factors. For example, the absolute value of -3 times 4 is equal to the absolute value of -3 multiplied by the absolute value of 4, which is 12.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification. Don't worry about not being knowledgeable in the field of science, everyone starts somewhere and I'm happy to help you learn.

Related to Can you please teach me the properties of absolute values

1. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you simply remove the negative sign (if there is one) and leave the number unchanged. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5.

3. What are the properties of absolute values?

The properties of absolute values include:

• The absolute value of a positive number is the same as the original number.
  • The absolute value of a negative number is the opposite of the original number.
  • The absolute value of zero is zero.
  • The absolute value of a sum is equal to the sum of the absolute values.
  • The absolute value of a product is equal to the product of the absolute values.

4. How are absolute values used in real life?

Absolute values are used in a variety of real life situations, such as calculating distances, determining the magnitude of a force or temperature change, or finding the difference between two values. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can you provide an example of how to solve an equation with absolute values?

Sure! Let's say we have the equation |x - 3| = 5. To solve for x, we need to set up two equations, one for when x - 3 is positive and one for when it is negative.

For x - 3 ≥ 0, the equation becomes x - 3 = 5. Solving for x, we get x = 8.

For x - 3 < 0, the equation becomes -(x - 3) = 5. Solving for x, we get x = -2.

Therefore, the solutions to the original equation are x = 8 and x = -2.