Can you pick out the random set of points in a plane?

In summary, the article is discussing how accident blackspots are defined and how they are not really a good indicator of danger.
Spinnor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can you pick out the random set of points in a plane?
1565266133095.png

The above screen shot is from, @ the 1:43 mark. Which set of points is random? Answer below.
The right set of points.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did that surprise you? The one on the left is far too even to be "random".

Of course, I am assuming that by "random" you mean that each point is placed at a location (X,Y) where X and Y are independent random variables each with a uniform distribution. You could have random X, Y that are not independent but are nevertheless random or you could have random X, Y that are not uniformly distributed.

Likes FactChecker
Dale said:
Did that surprise you?

I stopped the video to think about the pictures. I guessed right. The picture on the left is by some measure random as explained in the video. The answer might not be obvious to everyone. Thought some here might enjoy it.

Likes Dale
Spinnor said:
The picture on the left is by some measure random as explained in the video.
I disagree. The video is using the term "random" to mean "random and independent of each other". As the video says, those points start out random, but then criteria are applied based on the prior dots to determine if each new dot will be included or not. So the dots are not independent of each other.
The answer might not be obvious to everyone.
It certainly is not. There is more clustering in random independent events than people expect in general. When they see a random cluster, they very often think that something non-random is going on. For instance, a baseball batter on a hitting streak is often thought to be better in general. But it might just be the clustering of random hits.
Thought some here might enjoy it.
I think that it illustrates a good point.

Likes Dale
FactChecker said:
For instance, a baseball batter on a hitting streak is often thought to be better in general.

As far as hitting baseballs I am pretty sure that in addition to some randomness and fluctuations in the pitcher's pitches, a batter can peak both physically and mentally and be better able to hit a homer so a streak of home runs can be the result of both random and non random conditions? Same goes for the pitcher, his abilities can peak and make it harder for the home run hitter?

Spinnor said:
As far as hitting baseballs I am pretty sure that in addition to some randomness and fluctuations in the pitcher's pitches, a batter can peak both physically and mentally and be better able to hit a homer so a streak of home runs can be the result of both random and non random conditions? Same goes for the pitcher, his abilities can peak and make it harder for the home run hitter?
Sure. That is why I said that the hot streak might just be a random cluster of hits. But, IMHO, people tend to underestimate the amount of clustering in independent random events. Therefore, they tend to attribute a hot streak to physical and mental ability more often than they should.

Likes StoneTemplePython
FactChecker said:
But, IMHO, people tend to underestimate the amount of clustering in independent random events.
There was an article I read years ago, in the Royal Statistical Society magazine I think, talking about accident blackspots. They were defined as places on the roads where more than five accidents had happened in the preceding year, and are marked as dangerous by road signage. Fine. But they've kept the definition, so any time a place has more than five accidents in a year it gets classified as an accident black spot. The article was pointing out that everywhere will eventually have five accidents in a year just by bad luck. Apparently this kind of clustering-by-chance escaped whoever framed the definition.

Likes 256bits, FactChecker and Dale

Related to Can you pick out the random set of points in a plane?

1. What is a random set of points in a plane?

A random set of points in a plane refers to a collection of points that are randomly distributed on a two-dimensional surface. These points have no specific pattern or order and are often generated using a random number generator.

2. How do you pick out a random set of points in a plane?

To pick out a random set of points in a plane, you can use a random number generator to generate the coordinates of each point. The range of the random numbers should correspond to the size of the plane. For example, if the plane is a 10x10 grid, the random numbers should be between 0 and 10.

3. Why is it important to have a random set of points in a plane?

A random set of points in a plane is often used in mathematical and scientific studies to simulate real-world scenarios. It can also be used to generate data for statistical analysis or to test algorithms and models. Having a random set of points ensures that the results of the study are not biased or skewed by a specific pattern or order.

4. Can you pick out a specific number of points in a random set of points in a plane?

Yes, it is possible to pick out a specific number of points in a random set of points in a plane. This can be achieved by setting the range of the random numbers to the desired number of points and using a loop to generate that number of points.

5. How can you visualize a random set of points in a plane?

There are various ways to visualize a random set of points in a plane. One way is to plot the points on a graph, with the x-axis representing the horizontal plane and the y-axis representing the vertical plane. Another way is to use a scatter plot, where each point is represented by a dot on the graph. Additionally, you can also use 3D visualization tools to see the points in a three-dimensional space.