Can you help me decide what engineering field I should go into?

In summary, the individual has completed an apprenticeship in vehicle maintenance and repairs and is almost finished with a 2-year course in mechatronics engineering. They are struggling to decide on their next steps, as they initially wanted to become an automotive/transport engineer and have found a nearby university that offers a relevant degree. However, they have heard that the automotive/transport industry is declining and it may be pointless to pursue a degree in it. They are concerned about finding a job and are unsure of what to do next. The individual enjoys working on vehicles and excelled in their previous education. The conversation also touches on the expanding categories within engineering and the recommendation to pursue a mechanical degree for its versatility.
examorph
I have done a apprentership in vehicle maintenance & repairs which took up 2 years and now have almost completed a 2 year course in mechatronics engineering, I am having a hard time deciding on what to do next, my initial decision was when I started the course to some day be a automotive/transport engineer and there is a university near me which offers a Mechanical & Low Carbon Transport Degree but everywhere I look people say the automotive/transport industry is going down hill and it is pointless doing a degree in it because you won't find a job.
I enjoy working on vehicles and would love to engineer them but I don't want to do something and not be able to get a job, I did very well in college top marks in everything so far including my apprentership, what do you suggest I do next please?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
People need transportation, and will for the foreseeable future. Don't pigeon hole yourself by, say, getting a degree in IC engines. But, a mechanical degree specializing in transportation systems is a useful career move.

We don't know what the future holds either. Best to do what you like.

There seems to be a lot more categories than ever existed in the past. It used to be Civil, Chemical, Nuclear, Electrical, Mechanical, Aeronautical, and other simple things. These multiplexed disciplines confuse me.
My recommendation has always been Mechanical, because it seems to be more versatile than most others. This is an outsider's opinion, though, because I have no formal education.

Related to Can you help me decide what engineering field I should go into?

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices, such as engines, machines, and tools. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. Both fields involve problem-solving and the use of math and science principles, but they have different specialties and applications.

2. How do I determine which engineering field is right for me?

To determine which engineering field is right for you, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different engineering disciplines and their job prospects, as well as the courses and skills required for each. You can also talk to professionals in various engineering fields and participate in internships or job shadowing to gain hands-on experience and a better understanding of the field.

3. What is the job outlook for different engineering fields?

The job outlook for engineering fields varies, but overall, the demand for engineers is expected to grow in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, civil, mechanical, and biomedical engineering are among the fastest-growing engineering fields, while fields like aerospace and nuclear engineering have a slower growth rate. It is important to research the current and projected job market for your chosen field before making a decision.

4. Are there any overlapping skills or courses between different engineering fields?

Yes, there are some overlapping skills and courses between different engineering fields, especially in the foundational courses such as math, physics, and computer science. However, each engineering field also has its own specialized courses and skills that are required for success in that particular field. It is important to have a strong foundation in the basics while also developing expertise in your chosen field.

5. How do I know if I have what it takes to be an engineer?

Being an engineer requires a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and creativity. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as good critical thinking and communication skills. Additionally, engineers must be able to work well in a team and adapt to changing technologies and industries. If you are curious, analytical, and enjoy solving complex problems, you may have what it takes to be a successful engineer.