Can You Handle the Gravity of This Funny Physics Speech?

In summary, David is looking for ways to add his own flair to a presentation he is to give alone, but is worried about how it will be received. He has some ideas, but is still unsure. Lisa provides some feedback on how to make the presentation more original and funny.
LadyStardust
I know this is silly but it'd be greatly helpful. I'm in grad school for astrophysics AND have a full time job in an office (media). The office is amazing, the people are great. I've been here for about 8 months now. One of the most liked co-workers is moving and leaving us (she just got engaged as well) and we're all supposed to do a mini speech/presentation (solo). I want to be original and add my own flair or add a touch of science but make it somehow funny. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not super close to her though. She's the loudest/funniest in the office (class clown type). She's born a day after me. Likes super cheesy 90's hip hop and kind of has a dirty sense of humour.

I know this is a loooong shot and no one will probably reply, but if you do I will be most appreciative. I've written countless of papers and speeches, and I'm drawing a blank here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to be original and add my own flair or add a touch of science but make it somehow funny. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh boy, I don't know...Maybe if I sat down with a black cup of coffee...

--David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

The first part is easy, the way to steal material from another and still be original is simply to steal from more than one. But I don't see how we can help you add your own flair. Perhaps if you gave us an example of your flair we could give it a try.

Wow, being forced to be spontaneous and sincere. I'd tell the person that gave that mandate to come up with something quick.

LadyStardust said:
I'm not super close to her though.

If you do not like her, why do you want to please her?

Do you want to make this like a whiz-bang type of presentation? Maybe start with a prop and build your speech around it.

Like, lighting a fluorescent bulb in your hand with a Tesla coil...

Tesla6.jpg

...and making some comments about how she "lights up the office" or something corny like that :biggrin:.

... You're going to leave a hole for sure when you leave, but I'm hoping that this will make the team more conductive..err, connected...err, whatever. :-p

I'd just wish her good.

Well thanks for the responses. And I realize the 'my own flair' part makes no sense. I was typing it right before I left work. I'd like to clearly add my own flair but since that's clearly going nowhere, I wanted some suggestions. No big deal, no worries. Thanks anyway, everyone.

Edit: Also Lisa, thanks! That's actually very cool. I'm considering it, now to only write my speech around it. Ah we'll see, maybe I will just ~wish her luck~

LadyStardust said:
a touch of science but make it somehow funny ... kind of has a dirty sense of humour.

maybe say something about black holes that could be taken more then one way.

Related to Can You Handle the Gravity of This Funny Physics Speech?

1. What is the concept of "funny physics related speech"?

Funny physics related speech is a type of presentation or dialogue that incorporates elements of humor while discussing topics related to physics. It can be used to engage and entertain audiences while also educating them about scientific concepts.

2. How can humor be incorporated into a physics-related speech?

Humor can be incorporated into a physics-related speech by using puns, jokes, or funny anecdotes that relate to the topic being discussed. It can also be used to explain complex concepts in a more relatable and entertaining manner.

3. What are the benefits of using humor in a physics-related speech?

Using humor in a physics-related speech can make the content more engaging and memorable, helping the audience to better understand and retain the information being presented. It can also create a more relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, making the topic of physics more approachable for those who may find it intimidating.

4. Is it appropriate to use humor in a scientific setting?

Yes, humor can be used in a scientific setting, including during presentations or speeches. However, it is important to use appropriate and respectful humor that does not undermine the seriousness of the topic being discussed.

5. Can a physics-related speech still be informative and educational if it includes humor?

Yes, using humor in a physics-related speech does not detract from its educational value. In fact, it can enhance the audience's understanding and retention of the information being presented, as well as make the topic more enjoyable and relatable.