Can you get the inertia from the angular speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relation between spinning speed and inertia in equation form. The concept of angular velocity and angular speed are also discussed. The conversation then moves to finding the conserved quantity as the skater pulls her arms in and the equation relating it to moment of inertia and angular speed. The topic of angular momentum is brought up and it is determined that calculating it will help solve the problem. The conversation concludes with a question on whether the calculation was done correctly.
Ys VL

Homework Statement

0HRqL84.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been searching for the relation between the spinning speed and inertia in equation form. I do know that since the skater inertia is smaller the spinning speed is faster but that about it. Any hint would be helpful. One more thing, is angular velocity and angular speed the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ys VL said:

Homework Statement

0HRqL84.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've been searching for the relation between the spinning speed and inertia in equation form. I do know that since the skater inertia is smaller the spinning speed is faster but that about it. Any hint would be helpful. One more thing, is angular velocity and angular speed the same thing?
Welcome to the PF.

The textbook that you took a picture of should have the relevant equations. Since the skater is spinning only about the vertical axis, the angular speed and the vector angular velocity can be considered to be the same.

What quantity is conserved as the skater pulls her arms in? What is the equation relating that conserved quantity to the moment of inertia (MOI) and her angular speed?

I'm sorry but my teacher made this up and handed us a to do list. I have no idea where he got it from but I must solve it. To answer directly all I have to work with is what is given in this sentence, the rest is from my knowledge of the class notes.

Last edited:
Ys VL said:
I'm sorry but my teacher made this up and handed us a to do list. I have no idea where he got it from but I must solve it. To answer directly all I have to work with is what is given in this sentence, the rest is from my knowledge of the class notes.
Do your notes have anything on angular momentum? If not, try g**gling it.

Likes berkeman
I'm back,

I looked up angular momentum. From what I can tell if I calculate L (angular momentum) I should have no problem solving this since L is suppose to be constant and the tangential velocity is given for it's final and initial. I tried it and I think I finally got it. If this is right thanks haruspex, if not... what else do you think I should look up?

bidrbbk.jpg

Did I do it correctly?

Last edited:
Ys VL said:
I'm back,

I looked up angular momentum. From what I can tell if I calculate L (angular momentum) I should have no problem solving this since L is suppose to be constant and the tangential velocity is given for it's final and initial. I tried it and I think I finally got it. If this is right thanks haruspex, if not... what else do you think I should look up?

bidrbbk.jpg

Did I do it correctly?
Looks right - but you should always include the units in the answer, or better still at every step in the calculation.

Likes berkeman

Related to Can you get the inertia from the angular speed?

1. Can inertia be calculated from angular speed?

No, inertia and angular speed are two separate quantities and cannot be directly calculated from one another. Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion, while angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates.

2. How does angular speed affect inertia?

Angular speed does not directly affect inertia. However, an object with a higher angular speed will have a greater rotational kinetic energy, which is related to its inertia.

3. Can you determine an object's inertia by measuring its angular speed?

No, measuring an object's angular speed does not provide enough information to determine its inertia. Other factors such as mass and shape also play a role in an object's inertia.

4. Is inertia the same as angular momentum?

No, inertia and angular momentum are two distinct concepts. Inertia is related to an object's resistance to changes in its motion, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

5. How is inertia related to angular acceleration?

Inertia and angular acceleration are related through the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the greater the object's resistance to angular acceleration.