Can You Decode This IQ Test Pattern Challenge?

• Thread starter Fanaticus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult IQ-like test that only consists of pictures. Participants are trying to figure out the pattern and correct answer for the last question, which involves finding the sequence of images. Some suggest finding groups of three based on the number of line segments that reach the edges of the square, while others point out the vague instructions and the possibility of a more creative answer. There is also a discussion about accessing the attached picture and some technical difficulties.
Fanaticus
The attachment is from an IQ like test. The last third or so of the test was quite hard. I look over the questions after the test, just for curiosity and still can't figure some out.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

Attachments

• 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I'd go for number 5, but I'll wait and see whether anybody agrees or not.

That was it? No instructions, no way to get a hint from other problems in the section?

It's a bit blurry, but #2 seems identical to the last picture, unless a clearer shot shows some difference, and #5 is rotated counter clockwise from the first picture.

It also looks like #2 and the first may have one doted line, so #2 is reversed. Hard to tell.

Can you post the context of this example?

Is there some reason it tells me that I don't have permission to view the attachment?

NeoDevin said:
Is there some reason it tells me that I don't have permission to view the attachment?
You can't even see the thumbnail?

I think I'd go for number 5, but I'll wait and see whether anybody agrees or not.

That is what I picked too. I don't know if its right. Actually I don't know why I even picked it... I couldn't consciously find a pattern, so I just picked the one that 'felt' right.

Can you post the context of this example?

I think this is a Mensa pre-test, but I am not sure. The entire test was only pictures like these. Some were quite easy...

The exact instructions were this

Find the pattern.

Which of the multiple choice options finishes the sequence.

Through out the rest of the test, they will be listed as options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and 8.

It was a 36 question test which I had 1 hour to finish.

I hope somebody can explain the pattern, I am dying to know! I have a few others I would like help on too, if somebody can get this one first.

NeoDevin said:
Click on the image and click on the logout option. Then log back in and click on the image again.

I chose #5 as well reasoning as follows: The images in the center, north, and northeast all have 5 line segments that reach the boundary of the square. (I count the central vertical line in north as two line segments reaching from the intersection point to the edges). The images in the east, west, and southwest all have 3 line segments that reach the boundary of the square. The remaining two images in the northwest and south both have 4 line segments that do not reach the boundary of the square. I conjecture that southeast should also have 4 line segments that do not reach the boundary in order to make three sets of three. In that case, the only two candidates are 2 and 5. I chose 5 simply because 2 is a duplicate of south and there are no other duplicates.

But he said the instructions say to find the "sequence" I don't see how #2 or #5 fit a "sequence".

What is so stupid about these so called IQ tests is that the more brilliant you are, the more likely you are to find a more ingenious answer than the test maker ever thought of. :smile: It's a game of guessing what the test writer was thinking.

Is a moose more like a grape or a turnip?

A suggestion:

The object of the puzzle may be to form three groups of three out of the square figures with the following two rules:

1. in each group, a figure shares at least two lines (when superposed) with another. The images with "short lines" are to be imagined extending to the edges of the containing square for the application of this rule.

2. in each group, there is 1 figure with short lines.

Following this, this leaves 5 as the only valid answer.

I'm hesitant to say that's the correct reasoning because "at least two lines" is a weak pattern.

Last edited:
Evo said:
What is so stupid about these so called IQ tests is that the more brilliant you are, the more likely you are to find a more ingenious answer than the test maker ever thought of. :smile: It's a game of guessing what the test writer was thinking.
That's my view, too
Is a moose more like a grape or a turnip?
Grape, obviously.

jimmysnyder said:
Click on the image and click on the logout option. Then log back in and click on the image again.
I have tried this and still do not have permissions.

arildno said:
That's my view, too

Grape, obviously.
We were separated at birth, I knew it. :smile:

jimmysnyder said:
I chose #5 as well reasoning as follows: The images in the center, north, and northeast all have 5 line segments that reach the boundary of the square. (I count the central vertical line in north as two line segments reaching from the intersection point to the edges). The images in the east, west, and southwest all have 3 line segments that reach the boundary of the square. The remaining two images in the northwest and south both have 4 line segments that do not reach the boundary of the square. I conjecture that southeast should also have 4 line segments that do not reach the boundary in order to make three sets of three. In that case, the only two candidates are 2 and 5. I chose 5 simply because 2 is a duplicate of south and there are no other duplicates.

I chose the same with more or less the same reasoning but had some suspicions that it may have to do with trig (which I am not familiar with) and some sort of 'value' of the triangles or angles.

Why can I see the thumbnail when logged out but not when logged in?

DaveC426913 said:
Why can I see the thumbnail when logged out but not when logged in?

I haven't looked at an attached pic in a while. It seems Greg has changed it into some sort of java thing. Maybe your browser is having a problem the java and the java is not enable for guests?

Number 6.

Ok, here's a few thoughts.

A B C
D E F
G H I
-------
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

Everything seems to be small modifications of squares A and H.

B is H enlarged to fill the square, and with an extra line segment.

C is A rotated 90 degrees, enlarged, and with an extra line segment.

D is A enlarged, missing a line segment.

E is A enlarged, with an extra line segment.

F is H enlarged, missing a line segment.

G is anomalous, although it is very similar to 8.

One thing to notice is that nothing repeats exactly (enlarged or rotated) without a segment removed or added. If that holds, it would rule out answers 2, 4, 5, and 6, since those are all the same as shapes already there (just rotated or scaled).

Another thing to notice is that all vertices where 2+ edges meet are either on the side of the box or in the exact center. If that holds, it would rule out answer 1.

A third thing to notice is that edges that eminate from the sides of the box all terminate in either the center or another side. It that holds, it would rule out answer 7 (the one with the weird "hole" missing) .

This leaves 3 and 8, and if I had to hazard a guess between the two, I'd say 8, just to add another small one in the mix, and because it is similar to G which doesn't fit with any of the other small ones.

Last edited:

Related to Can You Decode This IQ Test Pattern Challenge?

1. What is an IQ like pattern question?

An IQ like pattern question is a type of question that tests a person's ability to recognize and solve visual patterns. It is typically used in intelligence tests to measure a person's cognitive abilities.

2. How are IQ like pattern questions different from regular IQ questions?

IQ like pattern questions require a person to think visually and use spatial reasoning skills, while regular IQ questions typically involve verbal, mathematical, and logical reasoning.

3. Are IQ like pattern questions accurate in measuring intelligence?

IQ like pattern questions are just one aspect of measuring intelligence and should not be relied on as the sole indicator of a person's intelligence. Other factors, such as emotional intelligence and practical skills, also play a role in overall intelligence.

4. Can IQ like pattern questions be improved through practice?

Yes, like any other skill, practice can improve a person's ability to recognize and solve visual patterns. However, a person's overall intelligence is not solely based on their performance on IQ like pattern questions.

5. Can IQ like pattern questions be culturally biased?

Some IQ like pattern questions may be culturally biased as they may require knowledge or familiarity with certain symbols or patterns that are specific to a particular culture. It is important for test creators to consider cultural diversity when designing IQ tests.