Can You Connect 9 Dots With 4 Continuous Lines?

• Thread starter The Dagda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot Puzzle
In summary, the conversation is about a classic puzzle where 9 dots are drawn in 3 rows and columns and the goal is to connect them with no more than 4 straight lines. The conversation includes clarifications about the rules and strategies for solving the puzzle.
The Dagda
This ones a classic and it doesn't seem it's come up before.

But draw 9 dots in 3 rows and columns that are equidistant, now join them up with not more than 4 straight lines.

If you already know it be sure not to give the game away. Just a simple problem I thought might pass a few moments to those who haven't seen it before.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure i understand the question, because I've already thought of 5 answers

He forgot to say that the line (segments) have to be drawn contiguously; each line segment begins where the previous one ends.

A solution...

Last edited:
I decided to remove the figure cause there is no "spoiler mode" for figures...

For the points below

use these lines:

[3->7] [7->0] [0->10] [10->8]

:smile:

Last edited:
This is the classic think-outside-the-box puzzle.

ah, yes, i remember it now. even though i remembered the basic strategy, it still took a few tries in my head to arrive at the result.

Hurkyl said:
He forgot to say that the line (segments) have to be drawn contiguously; each line segment begins where the previous one ends.

Oh yes apologies. It must be a continuous line, ie you're not allowed to lift your pen from the paper.

Well done those who got it, yeah it is a classic but it stumps so many people I rather like it. It's one of those puzzles were people impose rules on themselves.

Related to Can You Connect 9 Dots With 4 Continuous Lines?

1. How do you solve the 9 dot puzzle?

The 9 dot puzzle is solved by drawing four straight lines that connect all nine dots without lifting the pen from the paper. The solution involves thinking outside of the box and going beyond the perceived boundaries of the puzzle.

2. Why is the 9 dot puzzle so difficult to solve?

The 9 dot puzzle is difficult to solve because our minds tend to limit our thinking to the perceived boundaries of the puzzle. We often overlook the possibility of thinking outside of the box and connecting the dots in a way that breaks the traditional pattern.

3. Are there multiple solutions to the 9 dot puzzle?

Yes, there are multiple solutions to the 9 dot puzzle. The most common solution involves drawing four lines, but there are other solutions that involve connecting the dots in different patterns or using curved lines instead of straight lines.

4. What is the purpose of the 9 dot puzzle?

The purpose of the 9 dot puzzle is to challenge our problem-solving skills and break out of traditional patterns of thinking. It also teaches us to think creatively and look beyond perceived boundaries to find solutions.

5. Can the 9 dot puzzle be solved without drawing lines?

No, the 9 dot puzzle cannot be solved without drawing lines. The puzzle is designed to be solved by connecting the dots with four straight lines, and changing the rules of the puzzle would defeat the purpose and make it a different puzzle altogether.