Can you confirm the value of the g-factor for the spinning electron in H1?

In summary, the angular moment (L) of the electron in 1s is 1.0546*10-34 J*s and the magnetic moment (μ) is 9.274*10-24 J/T.
bobie
Gold Member
I am studying the angular moment(s) in an atom of H (1s) in the classical model, can you help me understand some obscure points :
The mechanical orbital angular moment of the electron in 1s is L = mvr J*s:

(m) 9.11*10-31 *(v) 2.1877*106* (r) .52918*10-10 = 1.0546*10-34 J*s = h/2π,

the magnetic moment is μ = qvr/2 J/T:
1.6*10-19*(v) 2.1877*106* (r) .52918*10-10 /2=9.274 *10-24 J/T

first problem : this is the exact value of Bohr magneton μB (= qh/22πm), not of μ

The gyromagnetic factor γ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetogyric_ratio) is the ratio μ / L : γ = qvr/2 *mvr = q/m2 (J/T / J*s =1/s*T) = 1.7588*1011/2 radian/s*T, γ = 8.79*1010 r/Ts
For the spinning electron wiki says:
As mentioned above, in classical physics one would expect the g-factor to be ge=1 ...(whereas it is 2.0023..., γe = 1.76*1011: q/m 1.7588*ge/2= 1.01169)
second question: how do I verify g=1, shall I take into account the electron classical radius 2.81*10-15 m* 9.11*10-31 kg and what speed?
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you asking here? The definitions that you gave for L and μ are the classical definitions Using that definition the gyromagnetic ratio is just the charge to mass ratio (divided by 2). that relationship is not realized experimentally hence the need to define the g-factor that measures the discrepancy between the classical result and the observed value. The classical radius of the electron doesn't show up anywhere in either the classical or the quantum calculations.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
What are you asking here?

hence the need to define the g-factor
The classical radius of the electron doesn't show up anywhere in either the classical or the quantum calculations.
In the article I quoted there is :
γ which is the ratio of the orbital momenta μ / L in H1 ( L = 1/2π and μ =q/2m).

γe which is the ratio ofbetween the electron "spin" angular momentum Le= [itex]\pm[/itex]1/2 h/2π = h/ 4π, and magnetic moment μe/Le
and ge, the g-factor , the experimental factor that multiplies the expected classical, theoretical value of ye by 2.0023, if I got it right

The value of L in γ is mvr, where r should be the radius of the orbit in H1, Bohr radius
Isn't it so?

Last edited:

Related to Can you confirm the value of the g-factor for the spinning electron in H1?

1. What is the gyromagnetic ratio?

The gyromagnetic ratio is a physical constant that relates the magnetic dipole moment of a particle to its angular momentum. It is denoted by the symbol γ and has units of radians per second per tesla (rad/s·T).

2. How is the gyromagnetic ratio calculated?

The gyromagnetic ratio can be calculated by dividing the magnetic moment of a particle by its angular momentum. It can also be calculated using the particle's charge, mass, and spin.

3. Why is the gyromagnetic ratio important?

The gyromagnetic ratio is important because it describes the relationship between a particle's magnetic properties and its angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of all particles. It is also used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. How does the gyromagnetic ratio differ for different particles?

The gyromagnetic ratio can differ for different particles depending on their properties, such as charge, mass, and spin. For example, electrons have a different gyromagnetic ratio than protons.

5. Can the gyromagnetic ratio change?

The gyromagnetic ratio is considered to be a fundamental constant and is not expected to change. However, there have been some theoretical proposals that suggest it may vary under certain extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields.