Can You Conduct Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics Experiments at Home?

In summary, the conversation discussed the interest in particle physics and quantum mechanics and the possibility of conducting experiments at home to demonstrate fundamental ideas in these areas. Suggestions were made for experiments involving smoke detectors, electroscope, and light polarization. However, experiments involving serious radiation sources and equipment require access to a university lab.
Roy G Biv
I'm highly interested in the studies of particle physics as well as quantum mechanics. Are there any experiments I can try at home to demonstrate some of the more fundamental ideas related to these areas? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roy G Biv said:
I'm highly interested in the studies of particle physics as well as quantum mechanics. Are there any experiments I can try at home to demonstrate some of the more fundamental ideas related to these areas? Thank you for your time.

Yeah; well; just grab that smoke detector off your kitchen wall, rip it open, and watch the wonder of 37,000 alpha particles per second shoot off the Americium 241 sample contained therein. :smile: Don't worry, they are low energy alphas. Oh, yeah, watch out for the gammas also... :smile:
Read here...
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph241/eason1/

;)
"Driver carries no money; He's married."

Creator said:
Yeah; well; just grab that smoke detector off your kitchen wall, rip it open, and watch the wonder of 37,000 alpha particles per second shoot off the Americium 241 sample contained therein. :smile: Don't worry, they are low energy alphas. Oh, yeah, watch out for the gammas also... :smile:
Read here...
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2011/ph241/eason1/

;)
"Driver carries no money; He's married."

That's interesting indeed.

I'm not sure how I could make an experiment out of this, but I'll research around. Thank you!

To actually see these alpha particles from smoke detectors, and also cosmic ray particles, you can build a home-made cloud chamber for ~$20. Google around for "diy cloud chamber" and the like, there are several good sets of instructions on the web.

Make an electroscope – look up diy electroscope.

Watch it discharge in the presence of ionizing radiation. This was the first type of radiation detector. You can measure the range of alpha radiation with it. You could try putting various absorbers between the electroscope and a beta source – if you can find one SAFELY

For a quantum experiment – put a clean piece of zinc or zinc plated metal on the electroscope, charge it negatively (experiment with rubbing different types of plastic). Shine ordinary light on it and nothing happens – let sunlight fall on the zinc and the electroscope discharges at once but it it is positively charged this does not happen – you have just demonstrated the photoelectric effect.

Regards

Sam

This is more of a spectrum experiment, but most digital cameras "see" into the infrared.
So you can see the IR led of a TV remote in your digital camera view screen.

The only home-friendly quantum physics experiments you can do are with light polarization. It's nothing terribly exciting, but keeping in mind that light polarization corresponds to photon spin, you can do some quantum measurement experiments. Quantum Zeno, for example, works well enough with polarizers.

If you have access to some basic lab equipment, you can also do the photoelectric effect experiment. It's not terribly complex and doesn't require anything dangerous.

As far as particle physics, outside of playing with fire alarm's source and detector (flourescent paint, photo paper, Geiger counter...) everything even slightly more serious involves a serious radiation source, photomultiplier, and an entire cabinet of amplifiers, counters, and comparators. Basically, the kind of stuff you aren't going to get your hands on outside of a university.

Related to Can You Conduct Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics Experiments at Home?

1. What are some safe and easy home experiments I can try?

There are many safe and easy experiments that you can try at home, such as making a volcano using baking soda and vinegar, creating a rainbow using a glass of water and a flashlight, or making a simple homemade lava lamp using oil, water, and food coloring.

2. What supplies do I need for home experiments?

The supplies needed for home experiments will vary depending on the specific experiment you want to try. However, some common materials that may be needed include household items like baking soda, vinegar, food coloring, oil, water, paper towels, and cups. It is also important to have safety equipment such as gloves and goggles for certain experiments.

3. Are there any home experiments suitable for young children?

Yes, there are many home experiments that are safe and suitable for young children. These experiments often involve simple materials and can be done with adult supervision. Some examples include making homemade slime, creating a homemade lava lamp, or making a paper airplane.

4. Can I conduct home experiments without a science background?

Yes, you can conduct home experiments without a science background. Many experiments can be found online with step-by-step instructions and can be done by following the directions carefully. However, it is important to have adult supervision and to follow safety precautions when conducting any experiment.

5. How can I make my home experiments more educational?

There are several ways to make home experiments more educational. You can start by researching the science behind the experiment and discussing it with your children. You can also have them make predictions about the outcome or record their observations in a journal. Additionally, you can incorporate math by measuring and recording data, or practice critical thinking skills by asking them to come up with their own experiment variations.