Can You Analyze Reactor Kinetics with Non-Stationary Initial Conditions?

• Thread starter caldus2311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, the ONE-GROUP point kinetics equations can be solved using Laplace transformations, but the initial conditions are not c(0) and n(0), but c(0) and n(t), where n(t)=-Q*\Lambda/\rho0. In a critical reactor, k=1, and the power is constant, one can calculate n(t) from c(0) and n(0). However, in a one group approximation, c(0) does not always equal \beta*n(0)/(\lambda*\Lambda). When the reactivity is increased, the negative reactivity also increases via Doppler effect and reduction in moderator
caldus2311
Hello.

I would like to find an analytical solution of the one group point kinetic equations with the external source. I have a critical reactor and I would do the step change in reactivity. I would like to find the solution for n(t).

The ONE-GROUP point kinetics equations:

dn/dt=([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\beta[/tex])/[tex]\Lambda[/tex]*n(t)+[tex]\lambda[/tex]*c(t)+Q

dc/dt=[tex]\beta[/tex]/[tex]\Lambda[/tex]*n(t)-[tex]\lambda[/tex]*c(t)

I can solve the equations using Laplace transformations, but I don`t know the initial conditions: c(0) and n(0), since the reactor is critical I can`t use the stationary initial conditions?

What can I do.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
since the reactor is critical I can`t use the stationary initial conditions?
One uses the steady-state initial considitions, n(0)=n0 and c(0) =c0. The initial flux has to be proportional to the power in the system. Remember the system can be critical at zero power, at full rated power, or at any state in between. If the system exceeds its full rated power, the reactor protection system would scram the reactor.

There has to be some equilibrium value of any fission product, including delayed neutron precursors.

Thanks, Astronuc.

Maybe I didn`t quoted my problem very well in my previous post.

In a subcritical reactor (k<1) you can say, that before you will do a step change in reactivity you have a stationary state, where dn/dt=0 and dc/dt=0. So you can express c(0) with n(0). In a one group approximation it follows c(0)=[tex]\beta[/tex]*n(0)/([tex]\lambda[/tex]*[tex]\Lambda[/tex]) and n(0)=-Q*[tex]\Lambda[/tex]/[tex]\rho[/tex]0,

where [tex]\rho[/tex]0 is the reactivity before the step change and Q is the external source of neutrons.

But in a critical reactor (k>1) you can`t say that dn/dt=0 and dc/dt=0, since the power is rising. I am looking the expressions for c(0) and n(0) in a critical reactor.

Thanks.

In a critical reactor, k=1, and the power is constant.

In a supercritical reactor, k > 1, and the power increases, and in a subcritical system, k < 1, and the power decreases. But somewhere before reactivity is added or removed, the system is critical.

For k = 1, n(t) is constant, and the n(0) is proportional to power. Knowing n(0), one obtains c(0), which it appears one did.

In a one group approximation it follows c(0)=[tex]\beta[/tex]*n(0)/([tex]\lambda[/tex]*[tex]\Lambda[/tex]) and n(0)=-Q*[tex]\Lambda[/tex]/[tex]\rho[/tex]0,

where [tex]\rho[/tex]0 is the reactivity before the step change and Q is the external source of neutrons.
But is Q necessarily an external source, or is it just a source - including internal as well as external?

Last edited:
Astronuc: I understand your last post.

OK. From the begining.

Let say that I have a subcritical reactor, with the reactivity [tex]\rho[/tex]=-1,5. Than I make a step change in reactivity to [tex]\rho[/tex]=-1. In this example I can calculate the n(t) from the equations from my first post. Before the step change in reactivity I can say that dn(t=0)/dt=0. The system is in steady state. The number of neutrons does not change.
So I can calculate n(0)!

BUT, when I have a reactor in a state, when k>1, for example [tex]\rho[/tex]=0.002 and I hypothetically increase the reactivity to [tex]\rho[/tex]=0.003. In this case I can`t say that dn(t=0)/dt=0!.

My question. What can I do in this last case to calculate n(t) when I change the reactivity from 0.002[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0.003?

Yes, Q is the external source of neutrons.

Thanks.

Taking the example of a transition from [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0.002 to 0.003, then one would in principle start with k = 1 before insertion of reactivity of 0.002, in which case, one has n(t) for some t after the reactivity has changed. Then adding additional reactivity of 0.001 for a total of 0.003 is solvable, but using n(t) and c(t) at the time that the additional reactivity is added.

Such would be the case when one withdraws a control rod/blade a few steps, then withdraws a second set of rods/blades or the same set a few more steps before the reactor reaches steady-state again.

When one inserts reactivity and the power increases, the negative reactivity also increases via Doppler effect (increased resonance broadening with increased fuel temperature) and reduction in moderator coefficient (density of moderator decreases with temperature).

Related to Can You Analyze Reactor Kinetics with Non-Stationary Initial Conditions?

1. What are not stationary conditions?

Not stationary conditions refer to a situation in which the conditions or variables being studied are not constant over time. This means that the data collected from these conditions may change or fluctuate over time, making it difficult to draw reliable conclusions.

2. What causes not stationary conditions?

Not stationary conditions can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external influences, changes in the environment, or inherent variability in the system being studied. These factors can lead to fluctuations in the data and make it challenging to accurately interpret the results.

3. How do not stationary conditions affect scientific research?

Not stationary conditions can significantly impact the results and conclusions of scientific research. They can introduce bias or make it difficult to determine cause and effect relationships. It is essential for scientists to carefully consider and account for not stationary conditions in their research to ensure the validity of their findings.

4. How can scientists address not stationary conditions in their research?

There are several methods that scientists can use to address not stationary conditions in their research. These include collecting data over a longer period, using statistical techniques to analyze the data, and controlling for external variables. It is also crucial for scientists to acknowledge and discuss any potential limitations caused by not stationary conditions in their research.

5. What are some examples of not stationary conditions in science?

Some examples of not stationary conditions in science include climate change, population growth, and economic fluctuations. In these cases, the variables being studied are not constant over time, making it challenging to accurately predict or understand their effects. Other examples may include changes in weather patterns, shifts in species distribution, or fluctuations in market trends.